PDA

View Full Version : Headsup with KK

vargas
12-22-2003, 01:44 AM
Hi everyone. This is my first post here. I've been playing online for a few months and breaking even for the most part, until recently when I've had a little more success. I think my starting hand selection is still a little too loose, but one of the other major problems I seem to have is playing headsup against someone. It seems like I'm just flipping a coin deciding whether or not they're bluffing or have actually hit their hand. I usually end up calling the hand down and burning at least 1 or 2 more chips (it's a loaded coin I'm tossing). Like in this hand:

Pacific 1/2

I'd just sat down at the table. This is my second hand and am dealt K /images/graemlins/heart.gif K /images/graemlins/club.gif in EP3

It's folded to me and I raise. MP1 and MP2 call and it's folded to the BB who calls. 4 of us see this flop

2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif J /images/graemlins/club.gif

Hm, no Ace; good enough! BB checks and I bet. MP1 folds, MP2 and BB call.

[2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif J /images/graemlins/club.gif] 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

BB checks and I bet out again. MP2 raises and BB folds to me. At this point, I'm thinking I'm probably beat by a flush, but I hate folding to turn raises headsup. I call, intending to check call the river.

[2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif J /images/graemlins/club.gif 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif] 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I think about bluffing the A /images/graemlins/spade.gif, for a moment, but since I think I've successfully bluffed online a grand total of 1 time, I check and fold to his bet.

Does anyone fold to the turn raise (or 3-bet?)? Does anyone call the river? All comments appreciated. Thanks!

JohnShaft
12-22-2003, 02:01 AM
Hi Vargas, welcome to the Forum, nice to see you here.

OK first things first.
Did you mis-display your hand in the description?

If not you have a King hi Flush on the River. The second best hand possible in this situation, beaten only by the A /images/graemlins/spade.gif.

Is the hand correct? I'll wait until you verify the description is right before I comment on your play. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Brian
12-22-2003, 02:01 AM
Hi Vargas,

Welcome to the Forum. You played everything fine until the River, where you folded the second nut Flush. That is an abysmal fold. I would have check-called the River regardless what fell off, btw. He doesn't have to have the Flush to raise you on the Turn, even though it seems likely.

-Brian

vargas
12-22-2003, 02:06 AM
Oops! Yes, I had the K /images/graemlins/club.gif, not K /images/graemlins/spade.gif /images/graemlins/blush.gif

JohnShaft
12-22-2003, 02:19 AM
I figured you'd done that. See I'm not that easy to catch out! (apologies to Brian /images/graemlins/blush.gif)

Right, as for how I think you played.
Do you fold on the Turn?
Consider,
1. You don't have the Flush draw. (If you had the K /images/graemlins/spade.gif you obviously wouldn't fold)
2. The pot is only between you and him now. (If there was a couple of people left to act the fold would probably be OK)
3. The pot is of a decent size.
4. I wouldn't call the Turn if I wasn't intending to call the River (folding if the River is a 4th spade is a possibility though).
5. Your opponent. If you know he could bluff/semi-bluff then folding is probably wrong (and you might even raise).

They are some things I would consider.

What to do in this spot? How sane are your opponents?
Mostly here I think I would call if there was any doubt my opponent had the flush. I don't think I'm going to fold given it's me and him, the pot is decent, I've got a pretty fair hand. He could be raising as a semi-bluff with the A /images/graemlins/spade.gif or something.

The 4-flush hits on the River. Ugh. Not good.
Problem is you are getting 10.5-1 from the Pot.
If you think you have the best hand on the River here even 10% of the time you should call.
But that River is really not good. Many hands you beat on the River that he may have semi-bluffed now beat you.

I couldn't argue with your play. Even the River fold in a big pot. And I wouldn't argue with calling either.

It's a tough spot. I'd say calling on the River is fine. If it gives you a bit of piece of mind and you want to see what he was raising you with and how he plays then you can make a +PeaceOfMind call.
If you're fine with the fold and it won't bother you then folding is fine too.

I don't think there's any clear answer in the hand imo Vargas. Sorry. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

chesspain
12-22-2003, 02:25 AM
JS,

I wish I was as clever as you. I was almost done composing a long answer to this post when I saw that he did not actually fold the second nut flush. Arrrggggg!

SaintAces
12-22-2003, 02:29 AM
I don't see no second nut flush... /images/graemlins/wink.gif

JohnShaft
12-22-2003, 02:34 AM
Lol, Chess.
Clever? Well, that's one word for me, and I'll take it over what I usually get called. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

vargas
12-22-2003, 03:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I don't think there's any clear answer in the hand imo Vargas. Sorry. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I was afraid of that /images/graemlins/smile.gif Thanks.