PDA

View Full Version : For this forum's experts (long)

05-03-2002, 01:36 PM
I have read a few bankroll posts and I want to say that I generally agree with the suggestions I’ve seen. I play at mainly $1/2 online and over the last week have noticed that I was playing poorly or just running bad. I rarely consider me losing as “running bad,” I often looked for the faults in my own game to understand the loss.

Maybe due to frustration or stupidity, I decided to take my remaining bankroll and try a higher limit. I watched the $3/6 tables for a couple days and decided I should do well there. Here are the notes I made about my play. I voluntarily put money in pre-flop 23% of the time at $1-2 and only 11% at the $3-6 table. This is a huge difference in hand selection! I went deeper to discover that the main difference in the hands that I played was suited connectors, off-suit hands, certain suited cards and small pairs . The suited connectors were almost never played out of MP and EP in the $3/6 game unless they were impressive, but readily played at the $1/2 limit. In LP I was very tight with suited connector and played 76s once with 5 limpers. Big unsuited cards were (KJ, AJ, QJ, and JT) not played much, especially in MP and EP. The exception was AJo that played fine from MP. I was much more careful with other suited cards like QTs and KTs and worse – I just mucked them unless in LP and had a few in already. These hand have won money for me in the past but dropping in from MP and EP is an example of the tighter play. Next were small pairs, 44 or less from LP I dropped without 4+ limpers. Last was my play from the BB. I rarely defended without impressive cards. I dropped a few that I really wanted to play, but luckily they would have gotten thumped had I been in.

My hand selection was done without meaning to, it was just an observation when the dust settled and I could pour over hand histories. I played much tighter because of my bankroll limitations and enjoyed little swings in my sessions.

It was astounding to me that the higher limit that I am comfortable playing, but inadequately bankrolled, changed my game completely. I was seemingly relying on many straight draws and limping with many one and 2-gapper from LP (i.e. gambling) in the smaller game. Abdul Jalib wrote: “In general, S&M value pairs less than I do and off suit hands and suited connectors more than I do.” And: “A hold'em player cannot live by straight draws alone.” I believe that this is a major step in my play. I get stuck in many pots that I put too many bets in pre flop (due to raises behind me), flop a gut shot or similar long-shot and are too close to odds and draw to it. Even though I might have odds to draw, I should have never invested so much upfront. Please evaluate my observations and let me know if I am beginning to understand more. Most players feel they play tight, however I think I am discovering that the same players do not play tight enough. Thank you.

05-03-2002, 02:41 PM
almost your entire discussion focuses on hand selection and preflop decisions, if you play well preflop but are not very good after the flop you can only break even long term, maybe not even that given the high rake at the lowest limits.

if you seem to be running bad i suggest you reread hpfap (a surprisingly large amount of it applies to the relatively tighter low limit games at paradise i think) and also look at thoery of poker, inside the poker mind and read the medium stakes page on here a lot. this may help you recognize and fill some holes in your postflop play (since you seem to have the right idea preflop--11% seems pretty close to right on target).

take all my advice with a grain of salt: ive been beating hold em consistently in live games up to the 30-60 limit exceeding 2 big bets an hour at everything i play for over a year, but get absolutely slaughtered playing even as low as 1-2 on paradise. maybe it's the rake, maybe it's my over loose play online, but i cant even begin to beat these little online limits. ive literally given up.

05-03-2002, 03:10 PM
The 'running bad' was at $1/2 voluntarily putting money in pre-flop 23%. I feel this was simply a hole in my pre-flop play that went unnoticed due to the smaller stakes. As I tightened my hands at the higher limit, I made fewer errors post-flop and increase my winning % and decreased my swings. This includes playing much tighter in the 1/3 SB and the BB vs. a raise.

If you agree with the 11% range pre-flop (might be a bit too tight?), then I have just taken a giant step to playing better poker. I will pull the books back out (I own the three you mention) and do some additional study now that I am more aware of the tighter standards needed. Thank you for the comments

05-03-2002, 08:31 PM
Good post Speedy. You have to play at a stake that means something to you. At the micro-limit online, a preflop raise is "just a $2 call", and after a few hours certainly many people will play like that since the stakes are hardly threatening.

The good news for you is that as you play 3-6 and 5-10 you will notice that for the most part in live games, the players are not tougher, and if this is a stake that matters to you, you will win.

You may want to imagine that your online 1-2 is really 10-20 and think about your cards again...that may help you. So if you sit down with a stack of $50 imagine that it is $500 instead.