PDA

View Full Version : Book Reviews

Mason Malmuth
12-21-2003, 04:21 AM
Hi Everyone:

For those interested, I have posted a whole bunch of book reviews on our "Books/Software" forum.

Best wishes,
Mason

MMMMMM
12-21-2003, 12:10 PM
Great! I'm heading over there now.

I hope your new reviews are as good (and as appropriate) as your review of K.A. Coddington's Stud 8 or Better book, which many years ago successfully and speedily transformed me from a break-even 8 or Better player into a losing 8 or Better player.

MMMMMM
12-21-2003, 03:11 PM
That is, taking Coddington's advice in the book, not reading your review, is what produced the hideous change in my results.

artman
12-21-2003, 09:35 PM
Hi Mason,

I was wondering if u have reviewed Championship no-limit & pot-limit hold'em by Cloutier & McEvoy and no-limit & pot-limit poker by Ciaffone & Reuben. I know it's not your field of expertiese, but still i value your opinion.

Greetings
ARTMAN

Mason Malmuth
12-21-2003, 09:45 PM
Hi Art:

I gave the Cloutier book a 6 and the Ciaffone book a 10.

Best wishes,
Mason

Iceman
12-21-2003, 09:57 PM
"I gave the Cloutier book a 6 and the Ciaffone book a 10."

Mason recommends the Ciaffone/Reuben book, but I didn't like it at all. The pot-limit Omaha and pot-limit Omaha-8 coverage is pathetic, and leaves you with virtually nothing useful in understanding those games. The NL holdem chapter covers only the most basic concepts. If you haven't played PL/NL at all, then it's a passable introduction, for holdem only. But if you're an experienced PLH/NLH player, or you want to learn PL Omaha or PL Omaha-8, I wouldn't bother with it.

Gahnia radula
12-22-2003, 03:58 AM
Nice recovery /images/graemlins/grin.gif

artman
12-24-2003, 11:18 AM
Hi Mason,

Thanks for your opinion, i just finished reading Ciaffone/Reuben and after a first read i liked it much better than the Cloutier/McEvoy work. Although i have to say that after a few reads and a bit of studie, the Cloutier/McEvoy book isn't all that bad. It does have some valuable information in it. Namely the tournament sections. But i do believe you and a lot of other people are right in grading Ciaffone/Reuben higher.

Happy holidays,
ARTMAN