PDA

View Full Version : Bubble gut check - Dueces never loses?

GrinningBuddha
12-20-2003, 09:56 PM
Ok, I'd like some feedback as to what the proper play is here:

Pot Limit tourney, bubble time. 17 players left, top ten paid, top 5 for real money. Hero is sitting in about 14th with T2800, blinds 300/600.

Folded to our Hero on the button with 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. SB has T7500 and BB has T2000. Raise the pot or fold?

If you say raise, what exceptions would there be? What exceptions if you would normally fold?

Thanks for any guidance you can give.

bunky9590
12-20-2003, 10:14 PM
you are going to need to make a move to get into the money anyway, folded to me on the button? I raise the pot and takle my chances. Sure you are a even money to any 2 overcards and a big dog to any PP. But they don't know you have 22.

ReddTrain
12-21-2003, 09:18 AM
Take this for what it's worth (which, in my case, probably isn't much):

If I'm mentally alert enough to put thought behind my move, I'm raising here only if the SB has about an average stack. If the average stack is 9-10K, the SB may take a shot with weaker cards than he might normally in order to get to an average stack, and he won't be crippled if he loses. If he's a big stack, he won't mind using his status to get rid of a couple of the small stacks, increasing his chips for the final table. The only hand that you _want_ the small blind to call with is something including a 2, and that's highly unlikely. Otherwise you're either a small favorite or a huge dog, and it's tough to press those small advantages when one misstep is the end of your tourney.

What would I normally do? I'd raise without thinking, then mutter expletives at the monitor when the SB (rightfully) calls and hits.

Hope this helps...

Big John