PDA

View Full Version : Phil Hellmuth's book "How to Play Like the Pros"

blackaces13
12-20-2003, 02:31 AM
Unfortunately, this was the first book I ever read and I've since come to realize that as far as the $3-6 games that I typically play this book is HORRENDOUS. I really don't know who the target audience for this book is but I'd have to assume its for beginners based on the lack of depth he goes into. However, advising a beginner to raise on the flop with poket 7's or 8's (or AQ and AK for that matter) regardless of what the flop is is suicide. After reading this Hellmuth book I've since read Lee Jones (whose book I think is absolutely MANDATORY as far as beginners are concerned) and HEFAP both of which I think are LIGHT YEARS ahead of Phil's book.

Hellmuth makes little or no reference to position, doesn't discuss which cards play well in multi-way pots and need improvement as opposed to cards that can stand unimproved on their own shorthanded. Frequently he says "read, read read" in deciding whether to make a particular play which at the lower limits is not very important, particualrily for the beginner at the loose/passive lower limits. He also seems to greatly overvalue poket pairs and doesn't even make any distinction between cards like AK or AQ being suited or unsuited.

All in all I really have to say that the Hellmuth book is NOT a book I would recommend to anyone although maybe his ideas of the game have been altered by the fact that he mostly plays in either big $$$ buy-in tournaments or higher limit games. However, the fact that his book seems aimed at beginners coupled with the fact that his advice could only be (concieveably) effective at higher limits or in big $$$ tournys makes his book almost completely worthless. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this book???

HajiShirazu
12-20-2003, 09:55 AM
I think Phil has done a service to all poker players by writing this book.

bigpooch
12-20-2003, 01:10 PM
Unfortunately, I do own a copy of Phil's book, but I think
it makes for entertaining reading. Be careful about any
advice given in it, though!

Easy E
12-20-2003, 04:25 PM
.... and take advantage of those that do internalize the advice?

Poker blog
12-20-2003, 04:39 PM
By writing his book, Phil has certainly increased my hourly rate.*

* I haven't read the book.

1p0kerb0y
12-22-2003, 12:20 AM
This is one of the most useless books I have ever purchased. I heard he's in the stages of writing a second book. That is terrible.

Here's an idea. Can we all get together sometime and build a great big bonfire out of the "How to Play Poker Like the Pros" books? We can roast some hotdogs and drink some Budweiser! Anybody interested?

Jim Easton
12-23-2003, 10:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This is one of the most useless books I have ever purchased.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like it for seeing how some opponents think.

[ QUOTE ]
I heard he's in the stages of writing a second book. That is terrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Terrible? It is great news.

[ QUOTE ]
Can we all get together sometime and build a great big bonfire out of the "How to Play Poker Like the Pros" books?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd rather pool our money and run ads for it on WPT and ESPN's WSOP telecasts.

1p0kerb0y
12-23-2003, 06:18 PM
LOL. Good point, Jim. I'm actually now hoping he writes a third. Just a little bitter, because I wasted $15.95, but now that I think about it I've probably already made that money back beacuase of the book!(and then some)

harboral
12-24-2003, 08:12 PM
I own Phil's book - and it is weak, but I own just about every other poker book from the last 20 years and many of them are weak also - but here is a point to consider: For a first time player (no experience at all) this shows how some players think (my GOD, can Phil really win thinking this way?) and it gives a very simple to use strategy for playing in MICRO LIMIT play. You may not play at the 50/$1 and below tables, but I can tell you that if those players read and follow this book (yes, there are still some flaws even at that limit) they can make money playing instead of donating their $ to me. Remember, most players (there are 20 million in America according to the latest accounts) are so weak this book is very helpful for them. This is mostly because the average player will not (can not) read and absorb TOP and HEFAP.

skaboomizzy
12-25-2003, 12:46 AM
This was also the first book I bought on poker. After I moved and came into a little money (by luck) playing online, I bought both of Sklansky's Hold-em books (HP and HPFAP), Theory of Poker, and Super System. Upon reading those, I instantly lent my copy of Phil's book to someone. I have no intention of ever asking for it back.

wacki
01-04-2004, 12:03 AM
Has anyone compared this book to the way he played at 2003 Binions? I haven't read the book, but he did raise every time he made pocket 7's or above.

Did he apply the rest of advice used in his book or does he not follow his own advice?

blackaces13
01-04-2004, 04:44 AM
Well, the WSOP is no-limit so they pretty much always raise whenever they enter a pot. But his advice was for low-limit hold-em and for that game its just suicide to always raise pocket 7's both before and on the flop because "representing" a good hand doesn't accomplish much against people who eiter don't notice the strength you've been showing or simply don't care because its only $3 more to call your overly aggressive ass and they've got another Scotch on the rocks coming.

wacki
01-04-2004, 08:20 PM
You've got a point.