PDA

View Full Version : two 3/6 no limit hands

buddycat
12-19-2003, 11:40 PM
A. Ace ace in the small blind (3/6 no limit)

Me and player have about 600 each. Player in the cutoff makes it 20.00 (1st on in). Pretty solid player.
I raise to 50.00 from the small blind.

Flop 559 with no flush draw. I make a 60.00 bet, and I’m called. Turn is a seven putting a flush draw out. I bet 140.00 and I’m called. I feel very confident at this point. River is a small heart making a three flush on the board and a pair of fives. I move in and I’m called.

Player turns over 99 for a full house.

Any comments on my play on this hand?

B. 3/6 no limit Player A limps early position and has about 200.00. I am also in early postion with about 1k I hold Acec Kingd and raise 30.00. All fold except the limper, an unknown player who calls. The flop is Jh Qc 7c. Limper checks and I bet 40.00. Limper moves in. I think about it. I have to call 140.00 more or fold. I lean towards folding, but consider a call to be marginal and make it. Turn is the King of clubs, River the Jack of Clubs, giving me the nut flush. Limper turns over Jack Jack for quads.

Any comments on this hand?

Thanks very much for your help.

Paul2432
12-20-2003, 01:11 AM
First hand: I would raise more pre-flop. You will be out of position the whole hand, so winning right now is an acceptable result. I would raise to 80 preflop. Post-flop, I think you need a good read of your opponent, as well as a good read of what he thinks of you. Your betting suggest a large pair, so his calling would seem to indicate he can beat a large pair, particularly on a board like this with no draws available. I think you can check-fold the river in good conscience, but it is player dependent.

Second Hand: I would fold to the all-in check raise. Even if one pair is good here, I don't think you have odds to call. Your only hope is that he is semi-bluffing a flush or straight draw, but even then your advantage is not great.

Paul

mauisupaman
12-20-2003, 06:51 AM
Paul, Just curious, how did you decide on $80?

crockpot
12-20-2003, 01:47 PM
A. you should reraise more pre-flop. this bet is small enough that anyone with a reasonable hand is getting a price to take you down.

which flush completed on the river? if it was the backdoor one, i would check to induce a bluff; if it was the flopped one, i would strongly consider checking and folding. there just isn't much he can have here that doesn't beat you, besides the chance of a smaller overpair.

B. a call is not marginal here. your overcards will be good less than half the time they hit; if he is pushing it with one pair it will surely have an ace or king kicker unless the player is a complete maniac. unless he has KT (another unlikely hand on this action), you will have about five or six outs on average, ridiculously low to consider a call here getting about 2:1.

crockpot
12-20-2003, 01:49 PM
i want to say it's to prevent him from getting the implied odds to call with a hand like a pocket pair, but maybe he just likes how pretty the 8 is.

mauisupaman
12-20-2003, 02:40 PM
I was thinking maybe it's so you can say "8 ball" when you bet.

Paul2432
12-20-2003, 03:37 PM
Paul, Just curious, how did you decide on $80?

Ciaffone recommends overbetting the pot for a preflop raise out of position with a big pair. $66 would be a pot size raise. $80 looked like a good number to me.

Paul

buddycat
12-20-2003, 09:59 PM
"which flush completed on the river? if it was the backdoor one, i would check to induce a bluff; if it was the flopped one, i would strongly consider checking and folding. "

It was the backdoor flush.

" there just isn't much he can have here that doesn't beat you, besides the chance of a smaller overpair."

With a flop of 559 heads up, there's not many hands that can beat me. I felt he probably had a smaller overpair at the time. I had also raised 30.00 the previous hand on rags, and this preflop raise followed immediately.

"B. a call is not marginal here. your overcards will be good less than half the time they hit; if he is pushing it with one pair it will surely have an ace or king kicker unless the player is a complete maniac. unless he has KT (another unlikely hand on this action), you will have about five or six outs on average, ridiculously low to consider a call here getting about 2:1.

[/ QUOTE ]"

I was considering a gutshot str8, a backdoor flush, and two overcards, getting 2 to 1 against an all-in player, who i knew nothing about.

Just trying to give a little more about my thought processes during the hand.

Thanks