PDA

View Full Version : Blinds

04-24-2002, 09:56 AM
Question:

When playing in a 0.4X : X blind structure as opposed to a 0.5x : x blind structure what adjustments should be made to starting hand requierments?

04-24-2002, 01:02 PM
play a little tigher

04-24-2002, 02:23 PM
My starting requirements for $5-10 (which has a $2 SB) and $10-20 (which has a ($5 SB) are identical. I think the loose-tight and passive-aggressive nature of the particular game will have a larger effect on your starting requirements than the fact that the SB is only $2 instead of $2.50. I can't think of any situation where I would have called if the SB was .5 x BB but would fold because it is only .4 x BB.

I think many players call too much out of the SB. In games where the SB is less than half of the BB it is a even bigger mistake for them to call. This benefits the good players in the long run.

04-24-2002, 03:25 PM
Thank's I appreciate the advice. In Davids book he mentions to call with group 1 to 8 plus any two suited cards and ace anything from the small blind. Would limitting myself to just calling with groups 1 to 7 make sense or is this to tight?

04-24-2002, 03:39 PM
Key is likelihood of big blind raising.Some players only do it with aces and Kings others raise much more liberally, i.e. hoping to trap players when the BB flops a big draw, or just because they are maniacs.

I am not sure that playing a weak ace in the small blind has any positive EV by the way.

It is a very difficult hand to play well out of position.

04-24-2002, 05:49 PM
Bob Ciaffone's criterion; not to call a bet out of the small blind that you wouldn't call anyway on the button. This might be just about right for a tough game, but would be too tight for a typical weak game.

There are four major factors I use when deciding whether to call or not.

1) How well do the players in late position play?

2) Is my hand one that benefits from implied odds?

3) What are the immediate odds I'm getting from the pot?

4) How likely is one or both of my cards to be crippled if I pair it?