PDA

View Full Version : Tournament problems

kingstalker
12-19-2003, 03:13 PM
I usualy play in rebuys or regular tourenys and the things that gives the most problems is that I often have problems playing hands (other then premimim) midway after the first break, by that time there is always a big stack doing big rasies or a shortstack going all in every other hand it seems and I have problems accumateing chips at that point, I usually have a Medium stack after the first break.

CrisBrown
12-19-2003, 03:38 PM
Hi kingstalker,

Ahhhhhhhh ... Monster Season. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I call it that because when I play multi-table tourneys, the first 45 minutes of the second hour are always the most difficult period for me. The small stacks are trying to double up with monster bets (one monster), and it seems as if someone ALWAYS has a monster hand when I try to play a good hand (second monster).

I eventually decided that this was a good time to stay out of the way unless I happened to have the monster hand. I'm not going to win the tournament in this phase, but I can sure lose it. I'd like to build my stack a little, but if I can hang on til the desperation stacks are gone, I'm in a much better position to come out and start playing a fuller range of hands.

Cris

juris
12-19-2003, 04:18 PM
I agree with CrisBrown. If you know people are going to take shots, why bluff? Tighten up, avoid draws, and pop back when you have a decent hand. Also, pay attention to who else is following this strategy.