PDA

View Full Version : Hands for critique

arfsananto
12-19-2003, 01:23 PM
Two hands from this morning. Nothing interesting, but just want to start getting some critiques.

Stars .05/.1. Just sat down, about 50% seeing flop.

Hand 1, 8 players

I am Button with Tc,Qh.

Called to CO, CO folds. I call. SB checks, BB completes.

Flop 2d, Qs, 8c
Checked to MP1 who bets. I raise (reasoning- top pair, medium kicker- try to get some to fold. protecting my hand(?)). SB calls, BB folds, UTG calls, EP1 folds, EP2 and MP1 call

Turn- Jc
Checked to me, I bet, all call

River 6d
Checked to me, I bet, folded to MP1 who calls,

MHIG

Hand 2

I am CO, dealt Kd, Tc

Folded to MP2 who calls, I call, all reamainig call.-Pot si 5 SB

Flop
Th, Js, Qh
SB bets, BBfolds, MP2 calls, I call, Button calls (9 SB)

Turn 5h
SB bets, I call, Button folds (6.5 BB)(I call because I think I have ok pot odds)

River Jh
SB bets, I call (should I have assumed he had the flush or the straight here?

He showed K9h for the straight flush

Thansk for all input

Adrian

p.s.
Is there a way to import hands from email hand history straight into a post to make it easier to read and follow?

ProfLupin
12-19-2003, 01:45 PM
First hand looks good, although I'm surprised you won it with that many callers. Maybe it's cause I've lost a lot of those types of hands recently to a bigger kicker who never raised.

Hand two you could have saved yourself a few bets by raising on the flop and then folding when the flush card hits. This would be my play in general with this type of hand/flop combo. In this particular hand you probably would have been reraised by the made straight/flushdraw in which case you call and see the turn with the intention of check/folding unless you get a card you love. If the SB smooth calls your raise then I still check/fold when the flush card hits because you would have no outs to a made flush. The way you played it, you let him milk you for dead money all the way to the showdown.

Good luck to you!

Henke
12-19-2003, 01:52 PM
Hand 1: Think I would have folded this one preflop (well, at least should have). You don't want to face an army with QTo. But after calling preflop, I think you did fine.

Hand 2: Do I get this right that MP2 was the only caller to you in CO? Then I think you should have raised this preflop if you think there's a chance to fold out some or all of the players behind you. This may 1. buy you the button and 2. isolate a weaker holding. Think I would have folded the turn. You have a possible made straight against you, and a possible made flush against you. That gives you four possible outs, but you may already be drawing dead to the flush. /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

arfsananto
12-19-2003, 02:23 PM
So pot odds don't make it OK to call on hte turn? Too big a chance that I;m beat already?

Thanks for the input

ProfLupin
12-19-2003, 02:44 PM
I think too many factors are against you here. You are heads up against the bettor so no one else is there to build the pot up more. So the implied odds aren't that good.
Also the fact that you could be drawing dead means that the odds have to be much greater than normal for the call to be worth it. Sometimes it's good to call for value, but this doesn't seem like one of them.

More importantly, take a look at raising on the flop. I think you would have gotten a better read on the situation by taking the aggression there instead of just calling down the line.

arfsananto
12-19-2003, 02:44 PM
So, hand 2, you would have raised PF even tho I only had KTo? I actually debated even calling with it. (but hand selection/position and aggressiveness I know I need to work on)

arfsananto
12-19-2003, 02:48 PM
Good advice. I'm still working on using pot odds as a tool and not as an excuse to stay in hands past where I should. Also working on aggressiveness applied at teh right times.

Aces McGee
12-19-2003, 02:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So, hand 2, you would have raised PF even tho I only had KTo? I actually debated even calling with it. (but hand selection/position and aggressiveness I know I need to work on)

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you debate playing QTo in the first hand?

McGee

Aces McGee
12-19-2003, 02:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
River Jh
SB bets, I call (should I have assumed he had the flush or the straight here?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. But I don't think it's unreasonable to think he has a queen at least. I'd fold the river to most opponents.

McGee

ProfLupin
12-19-2003, 02:59 PM
well put....pot odds as tool not excuse
say that to yourself before making a pot odds decision and if it still seems the right way to go, then go for it. If it seems like a toss-up, then weigh other factors.

Luke
12-19-2003, 03:04 PM
Hand 1: Too many limpers for a trash unsuited hand like QT. I'm folding. But I like the way you played it postflop.

Hand 2: Raise preflop. You'll punish the weak open limper, increase the likelihood of keeping the pot shorthanded, possibly steal the button and increase your overall chances to win the hand (betting the flop if checked to you and the board is likely to have missed everyone).

After you limped, consider raising the flop to set up a free card on the turn. As you played it, I think you have to fold the turn. Your straight outs are greatly diminished with the 3rd heart hitting. Keep in mind you might be splitting the pot if you hit or be drawing dead to a flush. Your 2 ten outs are very questionable as someone could already have a straight or a flush.

The river fold is bad.

Is there a way to import hands from email hand history straight into a post to make it easier to read and follow?

Check the small stakes archives. Slavic created a hand converter where you can enter hand histories in raw form and have them converted into a post ready form.

Luke