PDA

View Full Version : Good Tip for Solid Stud Players - The Gaming Club

Goodie
12-19-2003, 01:00 PM
Solid Stud Players:

If you do nothing else this weekend, you should definetly check out the pot limit 5 card stud game on Gaming Club. This game is sweet. A few hands from this mornings session in order of level of stupidity:

3 brings it in, three limpers, I raise pot with (J) A, an Ace calls behind me, everyone else folds. I catch a Queen and he calls my all in pot sized bet with (6) A 9.

Player showing AA up gets four calls on third street, all from completly unduplicated and uncoordinated boards.

The Topper:

Player showing QQQ bets pot on fourth street, gets called by (A) K J 10. Fifth and final street, the case Queen comes for player B. The QQQ BETS, gets raised by the straight and subsequently CALLS for ALL his chips with, drum roll please,

QQQ

Does a game get any better than this?

Peace

Goodie

Big Jon
12-19-2003, 01:23 PM
I love five stud. Especially against morons like that. Thanks for the lead! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

HajiShirazu
12-23-2003, 08:49 AM
I have never played 5 stud and have no idea what I would do. It seems like a somewhat basic game, although it seems interesting as well. I have thought about trying it out. I haven't played much 7 stud either, so I'm hardly experienced at stud type games, although I do have very elementary knowledge of 7CS.
Anyway does anyone have any basic advice, such as starting hand selection, or any links to a guide for this game?
Thanks.

MRBAA
12-23-2003, 11:26 AM
It's an awful game. Terribly boring. HOWEVER if there are bad players, you will crush them because the cards are so visible. Basically you just fold any draw or undercarded hand. Wait for pairs or aces to start. If other players aren't playing this way, they will get killed. There are so many less ways to suck out -- plus, because four cards are visible and only one hidden, it's hard to get paid when you do suck out. Pot limit, I'd imagine, simply compounds the advantage for the skilled player. Yardley's old classic "Education of a Poker Player" talks about 5 stud a lot, although it's not useful as a teaching resource.

Al Mirpuri
12-24-2003, 06:35 AM
You ought to try Mexican Stud: it is five card stud but all the cards are dealt down instead of up and a player gets to decide on each street which card he wants to reveal as an upcard.

A basic trick of Mexican Stud is to hide your strength. This means it is not readily apparent just who has the best hand.

Mexican Stud is not to be confused with Mexican Poker, which is five stud played with a stripped deck of 40 cards and the joker.