PDA

View Full Version : Question on Maniacs

Raiser
12-19-2003, 11:54 AM
I was playing at, what I thought, was the perfect table last night. 6+ to see every flop and 1 pseudo-pre-flop maniac (PPFM) that was in every pot and raised about 40% of them regardless of position. I tightened up a bit, but found myself calling down more than usual when I was in a pot with the PPFM. I found myself down 15 BB after an hour and a half and very, very frustrated. I realize that this type of swing is nothing to get worked up about, but I do have a question about this type of table.

Did I play it correctly? Since the PPFM was immediately to my left I only played hands that could stand a raise. I think this is correct, but I can't help but think that I left a lot of money out there by calling down with 2nd pair and the like. Was I just being a big stupid idiot by letting my impression of PPFM influence my post-flop decisions? I'm sure you have to loosen up a little bit post-flop against a guy like this, but how far is too far?

Thanks in advance.

daveymck
12-19-2003, 11:57 AM
I thought the advice was to tighten up against such a player and loosen up against tight players.

Raiser
12-19-2003, 11:58 AM
I guess I meant to tighten up pre-flop, but be a little more loose on post-flop calling requirements. Does this make any sense or am I way off??????????

Sarge85
12-19-2003, 01:15 PM
Suggestions:

1)Move to the left of him so you can re-raise his raises to isolate him. - Not always the easiest thing to do but if you can do it.

2)Use his raises to push people out as well. Make sure you're still putting bets in the pot.

3)If people are constantly checking the pot to him....Check-raise to get heads up. (wouldn't work in this case, but manaics in general)

That being said - You still need to play your "normal" game because you won't always be HU with the manaic. When you are HU, you might be able to play a little more liberally, and definately call down every now and then with any sort of hand. - Raise and punish if you have a moderately strong hand.

-What do others think of how i handle?