PDA

View Full Version : Ax from the BB

JeffO
12-19-2003, 10:54 AM
This is a hand that I seem to have a lot of problems with. I'm in the BB and dealt Ax and see the flop for free. Flop comes Axx. How do you play this hand? What I'll usually do if there are 3 or more players see the flop with me I'll usually check and fold if theres any action. Unless the lone bet comes from the player who's last to act then I might raise him. Good play?

If there are 1 or 2 others that see the flop with me I will usually open bet with my AA weak kicker and sometimes win the pot right there. The problem is what to do if I'm called. Keep betting? check call? check fold?

All opinions and critisisms are welcome.

Gamblor
12-19-2003, 11:10 AM
All of this assumes good opponents, a medium-loose game with 3-4 seeing the flop.

In case of PF raise from LP: check-raise him. If he 3-bets, safely fold (unless you're getting odds on your 3-outer).

If he checks the flop, bet the turn and fold to a raise from the PF raiser.

From EP or MP: Bet out and fold to a raise, unless odds for 3-outer are valid - of course on an AKx or AQx flop, consider folding to any raise, you might be dead already.

As is the case, be more inclined to check-raise on draw heavy-flops if the PF raiser will autobet the flop.

If there's no PF raise, bet out. If there's lots of action behind you, i.e. a call and a raise, fold (beware of free-card raises though, probably the most overdone move in these loose games).

rigoletto
12-19-2003, 11:15 AM
The problem is what to do if I'm called. Keep betting? check call? check fold?

You keep betting. You should generally worry about bettors and raisers not callers. Against most players you can fold to a raise on the turn since you've represented top pair all the way. The slow play from another A or better hand (where he doesn't raise until the river) only happens HU and usually only at the higher limits.

Consider your alternatives: would you check the turn and fold to one bet? No, most af the time you would call to the end and lose 1 bet more than a bet/fold to the raise approach.

Jezebel
12-19-2003, 11:16 AM
Against a large field, checkraise a weak Ace from the blinds is my standard play. If the button bets after the field has checked to him, then a raise from you has a good shot of making it headsup. If the bet comes from your left, then you need to decide how likely you ace is good based on the action. If alot of player call or there is a raise, then I'm more than likely going to lay it down.

Against one typical opponent, I'd keep hammering my weak ace until they told me it was no good. If they keep calling I keep betting. If they raise, then you need to examine the play a little closer.