PDA

View Full Version : NL HE Tourney Question

Gomez22
12-19-2003, 01:07 AM
Playing in a NH HE tourney on Paradise. It was a $400 freeroll that I decided to enter to check out the software, and see how Paradise did with it's tourneys.

Field started at almost 2000 players, paying top 150, but only money is really in 1st place ($90). Being as I've never won a tourney, and am not much of a NL player, I figured I was'ne getting anywhere near the final table, but I did make it to the top 100....... then this hand came up:

About 94 players left in the tourney, I am CO with: K /images/graemlins/spade.gif J /images/graemlins/heart.gif

I have roughly T25000 chips left and am maybe 3rd largest stack at the table. Blinds are 2000/4000 with antes of 150.

Folded to me, I raise to T8000, button folds, SB folds, BB calls. BB was largest stack at table with about T90000(also tourney leader)

FLOP: J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

BB checks, I bet 8000, BB calls.

TURN: 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif

I call all-in, BB calls.

RIVER: 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

How did I do? Since I don't know a whole lot about NL (I'm more of a limit player), I don't know if I should have doen anything different or not... Comments?

RESULTS BELOW (In white text, I hope)

<font color="white"> BB showed 8d6d for the rivered 2 pair </font>

Hotrod0823
12-19-2003, 01:43 AM
WoW he called 8k with that!

Anyway the only thing I would have considered is pushing in on the Flop. I think a 8K bet into a 18000 pot is too small push all in with your top pair King kicker.

He may think twice about calling 17K with middle pair and a backdoor flush draw way away from the nuts.

Then again he did call the 8k whats another 9?

Hotrod

Gomez22
12-19-2003, 01:49 AM
He was also tourney leader, so I guess 8000 was nothing to him.... no idea what some of them are thinking.....

'Mez

fortextreme
12-19-2003, 02:12 AM
This late in a tourney considering you only had slightly more than 6 times the BB you are pretty much in an all or nothing position. If you decide to play K J as you did I would have pushed all-in preflop and tried to pick up the blinds and antes.

The large stack in the tourney is not going to fold his BB to the minimum raise so you can expect a call. Since he had second high pair on the flop your bet of 8000 can easily be seen as an attempt to steal the pot if he thinks you have a hand like A K. With the 5 on the turn he now has an inside straight draw giving him 9 outs(4-7s, 2-8s, 3-6s) to win the pot. With about 35,000 in the pot he is very close to pot odds against your 9,000 bet. He also knows you are pot committed at this point and have to push all in even if you only had ace high, allowing him to think he may have you beat.

Gomez22
12-19-2003, 02:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This late in a tourney considering you only had slightly more than 6 times the BB you are pretty much in an all or nothing position.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess these are some of the things that I need to learn about NL play (especially in tourneys). I figured BB was going to call, and thought about going all-in, but I had been having success with betting the flop, not to mention that I had been hitting flops rather well. I guess this was a point where I was trying to double up and try to make a push, but I guess I got rivered. There's a lot more to NL (tourneys, especially) than I'm used to from playing limit.

'Mez

fortextreme
12-19-2003, 02:35 AM
For two good articles on Multi-Table tourney strategy check out www.cardplayer.com (http://www.cardplayer.com) and read the current issue and the last issue articles by Tom McEnvoy.

CrisBrown
12-19-2003, 02:36 AM
Hi Gomez,

I don't like the min-raise here. The BB is almost always going to call it, especially if he's the big stack. A 3xBB raise (12K) would be over 1/3 of your stack, so I'd have moved all-in pre-flop and been happy with the blinds and antes. But given your min-raise, you needed to move all-in with top pair on the flop. You made it too cheap for him to chase you.

Cris

CardCuda
12-19-2003, 12:20 PM
Hey Gomez -

I'd a moved in here vs. the big stack in the BB, with Top Pair on the flop. This wasn't me you were against I wouldn't of called 8k with 8-6. (Placed 8th in this tourney)

Schmed
12-19-2003, 12:37 PM
I dunno what other people have said and I'm certainly no expert but I just don't like KJo in this spot. I fold it preflop and wait for something better. If you are going to play this hand at all you almost have to push preflop and I am not pushing with the KJo unless I am down to the felt.

I hope it worked out for you.