PDA

View Full Version : Overplaying 10s

granny50
12-18-2003, 10:29 PM
I am playing in $33 buy in NL Single table tourney. Tournament has just started and the chip leader has just managed to get lucky with one hand where he outdrew someone to make something on the river. I look down to find 10s. Blinds 10-15. I have 800. 2 limp. I raise to 100. He calls and another limper calls. Flop 7c 8c Qh. I check to chip leader who bets and then I raise. He calls. 9c falls on turn. He bets and I raise him all in. He calls. Shows down QJo to win the pot. Did I overplay this pot? Is there anyway I could've made him lay down his hand by playing better on any of the other streets?

JDO
12-18-2003, 10:48 PM
He wasn't letting go of that paint, especially when his lady fell on the flop. You did all you could do with the reraise on the flop. If I fire a bullet with a PP with an over-card on the board and it doesn't do the trick, I lay it down. I would've laid down after his turn bet.

Guy McSucker
12-19-2003, 06:18 AM
You can't win this pot. If he's going to call that preflop raise with QJ he certainly isn't going to fold when he hits.

You can get out cheaper though. Bet the flop. If he calls or raises, you are done with it, unless a ten hits. Check-raising is an expensive way to find out he hit the overcard.

Once you've check-raised, assuming the amounts were normal, with your stack you are committed to the pot I am afraid.

Guy.