PDA

View Full Version : Funny comments on WPT and Bravo poker shows

Easy E
12-18-2003, 11:47 AM
http://www.playwinningpoker.com/poker-news/

"The first season of the program is over, and season two won't begin until March 3.

As indicated in the recent "Ladies' Night" episode, women really do play differently from men -- they're chatty, they tease and brag at hands, and even the best of them can be sore losers. Another thing -- they're painfully ruthless. Among the players are Portland's poker champ Annie Duke, who's such a great player she supports her family on the sport.

"Ladies' Night's" draw isn't as much in the game itself as the inane commentary by Mike Sexton and Vince Van Patten, men who make John Madden at his babbling peak sound like the Great Orator.

And occasionally, the banter oozes with condescension. "This is not Sex and the City!" Van Patten booms. "No one is talking about needs here!"

Or, "Mike, I can just feel the estrogen in the room -- and I like it!"

Groan-inducing as that was, Van Patten and Sexton do their job of filling those silences with good old dramatic play-by-play far better than Celebrity Poker Showdown's Kevin Pollak. Had you tuned into one of the first two episodes of Celebrity Poker Showdown, you might have been bored out of your skull. Ben Affleck, Emily Proctor, Martin Sheen and Allison Janney couldn't maintain their game faces to save their lives.

Then again, Celebrity Poker is not a serious game, and it at least treats you to a few unguarded moments so rare in our era of celebrity handling. That alone may make it worth a look"

Rushmore
12-18-2003, 01:05 PM
Commentary aside, the headsup play at the end of Ladies' Night really spoke volumes about (at least) these two players' shortcomings.

Summed up: "I'm all in." When all else fails, and you're not sure what to do, push all of your chips in with King or Queen high to win the blinds. This is not the caliber of play that will validate "Ladies" as real contenders for the throne.

Also, I must say I was disappointed in one particular player whose game I respect.

Daniel Negreanu came off more like a fratboy moron than Layne Flack did as an alcoholic-in-training did in his final table appearance against Jerry Buss.

Of course, I'll never get there, so who the hell cares what I have to say?

I imagine that last line will be the one quoted back to me.

Miah
12-19-2003, 10:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"This is not Sex and the City!" Van Patten booms. "No one is talking about needs here!"

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably the funniest thing I've heard VVP say on the WPT

[ QUOTE ]
Commentary aside, the headsup play at the end of Ladies' Night really spoke volumes about (at least) these two players' shortcomings.

Summed up: "I'm all in." When all else fails, and you're not sure what to do, push all of your chips in with King or Queen high to win the blinds. This is not the caliber of play that will validate "Ladies" as real contenders for the throne.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do think they were 2 of the weaker players at the table (Evelyn not so much as the other one, forget her name) a lot of the all ins where when one of them was short stacked. That is what you're supposed to do with a tiny stack. On the whole, I don't think they played poorly. Minus a few plays here and there, but we see male pro's make these all the time too.

thomastem
12-19-2003, 11:56 AM
I thought the funniest comment, also the women's pretender champion tournament, was when Van Patten said "Man these women go up and down so much they do it more than yoyos."

mike l.
12-19-2003, 10:04 PM
i thought it was entertaining. now whenever someone around my house screws up we call it pulling a "leibert" in honor of her mindless horrific 3 second decision "i call" with ATo when clonie went all in w/ AJ.

celebrity poker has to be one of the worst tv shows ive ever seen. not just about poker. worst show period.

Bob T.
12-20-2003, 05:56 PM
celebrity poker has to be one of the worst tv shows ive ever seen. not just about poker. worst show period.

I think I remember a celebrity tennis show in the late 70s-early80s. It was about as bad.

MrBlini
12-20-2003, 06:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]The blinds got completely out of control. This was not the ladies' fault, and I'm sure the WPT organizers are going to be rethinking the new blind structure after this fiasco.

chesspain
12-20-2003, 06:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Daniel Negreanu came off more like a fratboy moron

[/ QUOTE ]

And this was a surprise to you?

Duke
12-20-2003, 07:25 PM
I think any guy that doesn't act like a moron around Evelyn is probably gay.

~D

Rushmore
12-20-2003, 08:18 PM
Admittedly, I don't know how "out of control" the blinds got.

But headsup, they would have had to have been like $200,000/$400,000 to justify the absurd chip-sliding ritual that I saw.

lunchmeat
12-20-2003, 10:14 PM
They used to replay those on Classic Sports Network. I remember watching a surprisingly nimble Meat Loaf beat Carlos Santana during his drug years.

Rushmore
12-20-2003, 11:14 PM
That was nothing compared to the Stephen Hawking victory over Liza Minelli in Celebrity Tennis--Redux on Bravo last month.

Kevmath
12-21-2003, 02:16 PM
It was relatively close to that, according to the report on Pokerpages, it was 15k antes 60k/120k blinds. Also the levels went from 1 hour to 30 minutes.

You can check it out at:

http://www.pokerpages.com/tournament/result8394.htm

Kevin...

Rushmore
12-21-2003, 08:23 PM
Taking your word for it...wow.

I still don't think this justifies the play I saw, but it's way more "out of control" than I thought it might be.

Thanks. that's useful information.

steeser
12-23-2003, 09:23 AM
I personally thought it was a terrible tournament to watch. Nearly every hand I saw was all-in preflop. It was like watching a bunch of people play showdown. I fell asleep watching the final two.

I thought at the end it was because of the blinds, but in the beginning they masked poor post flop play by going all-in before it came.

And Negreanu looked like a fool. Act like you've been there before, like your gf did.

Rushmore
12-23-2003, 01:47 PM
You might recall, Kathy Leibert did the same thing early at the final table in Aruba. She had AK preflop.

So here's the question: Why go allin? Why not just show the player that you're fully committed (so they won't try to run you off), and then try to outplay them after the flop?

By outplay, I mean, of course, make the laydown if it's there. At least you're still in the tournament.

Greg (FossilMan)
12-23-2003, 03:46 PM
If there is enough money left for any "play" after the flop, then you haven't raised enough to demonstrate that you're fully committed.

It usually takes at least half your stack to show you're fully committed, and some people will still try to bluff you. Once you've committed half your stack, it's pretty hard to lay down what was a good starting hand just because the flop isn't what you had hoped. Especially if there is some chance they're bluffing.

This reply says nothing about Kathy's play, or anybody else's, as I did not view the tournament in question. I'm only replying to your post as a stand-alone comment.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)