PDA

View Full Version : A3s open raise and turn question

benjie
12-18-2003, 05:11 AM
Party Poker 1/2 (10 handed)

My second post in my continuing attempt to bring more aggression to my game.

Table is pretty passive with about 4-5 people seeing the flop and not a lot of pre-flop raising. I am in middle position with A3s and open raise. Is this a good play?

Hero has A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif and is MP3

Hero raises, CO calls, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls

Flop(8 SB): 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif

SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets, CO folds, SB folds, BB calls
Top pair and flush draw and I bet out.

Turn(5 BB): Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

BB bets, Hero calls

Should I have raised here? It felt like the bb leading out here meant a Q.

River(7 BB): 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif

BB bets, Hero raises, BB calls

I won and the BB did not show. Comments on all streets welcome.

crockpot
12-18-2003, 05:43 AM
adding aggression to your game is fine, but A3s is really pushing it. even on tilt i would require something like A8s to raise preflop, and while sane i would make that ATs or AJs.

i don't think a turn raise is called for. if he wants to represent a queen, he's pretty likely to have one, and i don't want to risk paying two more big bets on a decent draw if i'm behind. if i'm ahead, i'll do fine snapping off the bluff.

Joe Tall
12-19-2003, 04:47 PM
If everyone folded to you and there is a good chance of stealing the blinds then OK. But in these loose games, and I hate to use these words, open-limping is going to be better off until you get some experience playing postflop.

Peace,
JT

lil'
12-19-2003, 06:26 PM
Especially at low limits, your raise will likely be called. Before you make a raise like this, you have to try and ask yourself what you are trying to accomplish with it. Aggression for aggression's sake doesn't usually lead anywhere.

I think you played the rest of the hand well. If I was at the table with you, I would make a note about your pre-flop raising requirements!