PDA

View Full Version : checkraise, flop or turn?

DrewOnTilt
12-18-2003, 04:00 AM
I was leafing through Krieger's "Internet Poker" today; in one part he advises checkraising on the flop rather than waiting for the river in low-limit games since most players won't fold anyway. Can someone give me some general advice on when to checkraise on the flop and when to wait for the higher bets?

I popped off a couple of good checkraises on the flop in a 29 BB win today. One hand was:

I limp in from mid position with A9d

Flop is 99Q rainbowed.

BB checks, I check along, position 7 bets, button raises. BB cold calls with a trash hand (gotta love these low-limit players).

I figure only 9Q and QQ can beat me so I three bet. No one folds. Geez.

From that point on the table was mine, with everyone simply checking and calling along. I won a big pot.

crockpot
12-18-2003, 04:21 AM
looks fine.

most check-raising in these ultra-loose games is done to knock players out, though. in early position with a big hand it is often best to just bet out and hope to collect some calls from the players in middle positions, since a raise is more likely to come from late position.

me454555
12-18-2003, 04:23 AM
If you feel your ahead, and your not worried about giving a free card to the bettors or raisers the go for the turn checkraise. You'll get way more action that way.

Rico Suave
12-18-2003, 11:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Can someone give me some general advice on when to checkraise on the flop and when to wait for the higher bets?

[/ QUOTE ]

It really depends on what you are trying to accomplish by the c/r--build a pot, or eliminate opponents--, the strength of your hand, and the type of opponents you are up against. There is a good thread in the SS forum about the c/r that you may want to check out.

Some VERY general advise:

Make sure you are using the tool correctly...either to build pots or to elimate players. If you are trying to build a pot up, and you c/r and the bet comes from your right, you are not really accomplishing your goal. If you are trying to eliminate players and c/r a bettor on you immediate left, again you are not accomplishing your goal.

If you are trying to eliminate opponents, you can c/r on the flop in an unraised pot, but in a raised pot, you might wait for the turn, as most draws will still have odd to call 2sb on the flop, but may not have odds to call 2bb on the turn.

In general, unless I have a monster hand on a drawless board, I do not wait until the turn to build the pot. If you can trap 3 or 4 for another sb, do it on the flop, as you are not assured they will be around on the turn to charge them extra bets then.

I would post some more hands if you are wondering if you are c/r at the right time.

On the hand you posted, I would bet out, as that type of flop gets checked around alot. A c/r on the flop is a good idea if you have an aggressive player on your left that you are confident will bet.

Hope this was helpful.

--Rico