PDA

View Full Version : Lord of the Rings

Clarkmeister
12-18-2003, 03:47 AM
Just saw Return of the King and I thought it was very good. The extended editions of the first two movies were so much better than the theatrical releases that I really want to wait til the EE-RoTK before passing final judgemet.

One thing is clear though, taken as a whole, the Lord of the Rings was one incredibly well done kick ass movie. I wish the big battle scenes were done differently as I felt that I had to suspend disbelief too many times, but that's a pretty minor quibble.

Considering how tough it was to please everyone, Jackson did a fabulous job.

Dynasty
12-18-2003, 04:27 AM
I enjoyed Return of the King more than either of the first two films. Maybe it was Gollum's treachery. I like Gollum.

whiskeytown
12-18-2003, 07:42 AM
I too thought it was excellent

I have delayed buying the extended editions...when the third one comes out, I will buy them all (probably in a gift pak) - and proceed over time to watch all three with their extended footage...

killer movie...it'll be the standard for a lot of bad ripoffs to follow (like Star Wars and Indiana Jones were) - but in all fairness, hey...I knew it was gonna be incredible...I read the books...

RB

baggins
12-18-2003, 11:57 PM
excellent film. the whole series was so spectacular, and I'm so glad they brought this story to the screen. there is too much to say, so much i liked about them. i will wait a while til others have seen it to discuss it further.

however, I was getting right close with the new girl while watching ROTK, so my attention was divided, and another viewing is in order before i can completely take in the entire film.

FeliciaLee
12-20-2003, 02:23 AM
I agree with all of the above posters, so it's hard to add something unique. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

The suspension of disbelief was tough after a while, like Clark suggested. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

We went to a surround-sound theatre, and I thought my eardrums were going to explode. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif Thank God I always carry earplugs with me, for the occasional times I need them in the poker room. The earplugs made it tolerable, but I don't know what they are thinking, making the sound THAT loud. I guess I'm getting old! I haven't even been to a movie in over five years, now I remember why.

I can't wait for the extended version.

whiskeytown
12-20-2003, 08:26 AM
the interesting things is....Tolkien went on record as saying this stuff happened 7000 yrs. before modern day on Earth...

so not only do you gotta suspend disbelief, but you gotta figure out where the hell this happened 7000 yrs ago...LOL

but it was incredible, IMHO =

RB

Mano
12-21-2003, 07:10 AM
I just watched the film tonight, and I am torn. Overall, I really enjoyed the whole trilogy, but there were parts that really bugged me. And it seems all the parts that bugged me were where Jackson strayed from the original story. I did not mind leaving out a few parts (sacking of the shire in this one, Bombadil in earlier one) but I hated some of the additions (what was the point of having Frodo and Sam go to Gondor in the last one?). I think a few of the characters could have been done better (they screwed up Faramir's and Treebeard's characters, Denethor was portrayed very one dimensional, they made Sam a big wuss for the most part) and was overly dramatic in many parts (does every section of bridge have to collapse precisely after they jump?). Maybe I am being overly critical because I am such a fan of the books. Overall I liked LOTR and will buy all the extended editions, I just wish Jackson didn't feel such a need to "improve" the story. Just my $.02 .

FeliciaLee
12-28-2003, 10:49 PM
Don't laugh too hard, because I'm taking Tylenol Cold and my mind is running all kinds of crazy ways...but...

Does anyone else think Faramir would make an awesome poker player?

Not the Faramir in the movies, but the Faramir in the LOTR books?

baggins
12-29-2003, 04:14 PM
good call felicia!

i think he would. he has good instincts, and acts upon them. he's also strongwilled, patient, intelligent, tactical, and knows when to withhold information. he is able to observe opponents and situations until it is time to act, and then he decides his own course of action. his only bit of 'tilt' if you will, is when he allowed his own emotions and feelings of inadequacy to his father cloud his judgement, and he obeys the obviously maddening Denethor by leading a charge on Osgiliath. but that's not really comparable to a poker skill.

FeliciaLee
12-29-2003, 05:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
good call felicia!

i think he would. he has good instincts, and acts upon them. he's also strongwilled, patient, intelligent, tactical, and knows when to withhold information. he is able to observe opponents and situations until it is time to act, and then he decides his own course of action. his only bit of 'tilt' if you will, is when he allowed his own emotions and feelings of inadequacy to his father cloud his judgement, and he obeys the obviously maddening Denethor by leading a charge on Osgiliath. but that's not really comparable to a poker skill.

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL! Funny, the things my drug-induced mind will come up with.

I must think about poker too much!