PDA

View Full Version : Return of the King

ArchAngel71857
12-18-2003, 01:57 AM
Just got back . . . . . . . and WOW. That was the best film I have ever seen. Everything was done absolutely wonderfully. Great acting, great screenplay, cinematography you name it. Of course they left out a lot of stuff, but Good Lord, if they had left it in I'd be watching until tomorrow noon.

Peter Jackson has done an astounding job presenting us with his interpretation/adaptation of Lord of the Rings. He definitely has done the masterpiece justice. Tolkien would be proud.

SPOILER*******************

My favorite part is either the charge of the Rohirrim on Pellenor Fields, or the Halls of the Dead.

Or The battle of the Black Gate. Hell, everything is amazing.

The soundtrack is wonderful. The theme for the Men of Gondor is the best part of the entire catalog. If this movie doesn't clean up at the Academy Awards, that's really a travesty.

For the first time in my life I expierienced what true surround sound should be like.

When the Oliuphants of the Haradrim first attacked, and Theoden was in the middle of them, I seriously looked to my left expecting to see arrows flying toward me. You could hear the rustle of them as they were shot and I actually felt that I was on the middle of a battle field.

I am racking my brain trying to think of what I didn't like, and I can't come up with anything. The worst visual effect was when Frodo and Sam run out of Mout Doom, and before the First movie came out it would have been groundbreaking. Gollum was just as good if not better than the Two Towers.

My friend did notice how it takes 9 hours to get to the volcano and 4 minutes to get back, but if Jackson had put in the meeting with Saruman and the Scourging of the Shire, I think that would have made it entirely too long. I was dissapppointed that Christopher Lee wasn't in it. There, that was the one thing I didn't like. At the beginning, why edit out Saruman? it won't take but 7 minutes. Ha. it won't take but 1. But oh well, I guess that's why I get Extended version DVDs for Christmas in 2004.

The city of Minas Tirith was breathtaking. I am still amazed at how accurately the movie depicts what was in the books. everything looks exactly as I had pictured it.

i could go on forever about this, so I will stop now and let others post their opinions.

-AA

P.S. I am expecting to hear what Aragorn thought.

Howard Burroughs
12-18-2003, 08:55 AM
I thought the movie sucked. The special effects, the music, the drama, the pacing......it all sucked, IMHO. I liked the first two movies much better!

YMMV

Best

Howard

daveymck
12-18-2003, 08:59 AM
Hope to see it over the weekend, but the scouring of the shire to me is fundamental to the whole book and it lack of inclusion to me is a big mistake.

As well as being a nice little twist of Saruman being involved but shows how what has gone on in the world at large has affected the shire and more importantly how it has affected the hobbits showing frodo et al have grown and changed and have become strong without the backup of the fellowshp etc.

Maybe I just love the book too much there have been some changes that have not sat well with me but I would rather see this ending than the ones of the elves leaving etc.

superleeds
12-18-2003, 10:20 AM

Clarkmeister
12-18-2003, 12:32 PM
It works just fine without the scouring, just as it worked fine without Bombadil.

ArchAngel71857
12-18-2003, 10:19 PM
I think that part of the book serves its purpose in the book, but ont really in the movie. You have invested the audience for 9 hours in the ring, once you destroy it you can't take 50 minutes to end the movie with more fighting. I think it was a good choice to leave out.

*******SPOILER************************* in white

<font color="white">The movie ending stays true to the book. The last scene and line are the same. Contrary to what you have heard, the movie does not end with the ship of the elves going west. Although, I must admit I would have been perfectly fine if it had. After that scene, it fades out and focuses on Sam, everyone in the theater started laughing and sighing being like "is this ever going to end?" All in all if you are a fan of the book, you will be a fan of the movie.

</font>

-AA

Legend27
12-19-2003, 06:50 AM
Best movie of all time in my opinion.

Sheriff Fatman
12-19-2003, 08:05 AM
Saw it last night and loved it.

I felt the same as you about leaving this out but, having seen how long the shortened ending takes, I think it would have added too much to the length of the movie. I think the Elves ending was important to include as it shows how Frodo never fully recovers from the ordeal, leaving the same slightly sad ending as the book.

Truly remarkable film IMHO. Not the best of all time but pretty damn good.

_And1_
12-19-2003, 09:42 AM
sure it was good but all the diffrent endings was abit crappy, no flow in the last 20 or so minutes???