PDA

View Full Version : Flopped a full house from the SB...now what?

bdk3clash
12-18-2003, 12:08 AM
What a dilemma. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I was really unsure how to proceed on the flop. Bet out? If raised, 3-bet or call? Go for check-raise? I ended up check-calling the flop and check-raising the turn, but I'm totally clueless as to how to best play a hand like this, perhaps because it's so freakishly rare.

Comments on each street appreciated. Is completing OK PF with 4 limpers?

No real reads on any of the players, though my opponent in this hand seems fairly reasonable.

In retrospect, I think betting out the turn would have been better. Someone with a high singleton /images/graemlins/heart.gif would have called my bet, and a completed flush would have probably raised, allowing me to 3-bet.

Party Poker 2/4 (10 handed)
bdk3clash has 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif and is SB

UTG limps, EP1 limps, MP1 limps, MP2 limps, Button folds, bdk3clash limps, BB checks

Flop(6 SB): 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

bdk3clash checks, BB checks, UTG checks, EP1 checks, MP1 checks, MP2 bets, bdk3clash calls, BB folds, UTG calls, EP1 folds, MP1 calls

Turn(5 BB): K/images/graemlins/heart.gif

bdk3clash checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks, MP2 bets, bdk3clash raises, UTG folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls

River(9 BB): 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

bdk3clash bets, MP2 calls

Homer
12-18-2003, 12:29 AM
There are a couple ways to play this. One is to bet the flop, check-raise the turn, and bet the river. Another is to check the flop and see what happens. If a player to your left bets and there are a bunch of callers, check-raise and lead the turn. If a player to your left bets and there are only a couple callers, call and go for the check-raise on the turn. If its checked around to a player to your right, who bets, call and go for overcalls, then lead the turn.

Given that you decided to check the flop, calling was correct since the bet came from your right. However, I believe you should have led out on the turn, hoping to be raised by trips or a flush so that you could three-bet. If the flop bettor were on your direct left, I would agree with check-raising. But when the flop bettor is on your right, you are going to end up confronting the field with two bets by checkraising, which you don't want to happen.

-- Homer

brian0729
12-18-2003, 12:39 AM
Homer,

Any EV to just calling the turn after the bet comes from the direct right. I think the turn raise is -EV, but still learning the finer points of EV.

Homer
12-18-2003, 12:46 AM
Any EV to just calling the turn after the bet comes from the direct right. I think the turn raise is -EV, but still learning the finer points of EV.

Against a large field, I think you'll make more by just calling (though in a loose game raising might be better since you'll get a coldcall or two) and against a small field raising is better. But as I said, I wouldn't put myself in this position in the first place. I'd lead the turn and take it from there.

-- Homer

brian0729
12-18-2003, 12:51 AM
Thanks Homer.

I am not going out on a limb here or anything but Im with Homer on this one. After MP2 bets the flop. If you lead the turn you really pressure the players between you and MP2 and you may have the chance to three bet and trap them.

bernie
12-18-2003, 01:04 AM
bet out on the flop. who's going to put you on a FH? even if you ram it, they may think it, but you could also be jamming a draw, overpair, top pair...

no one with a flush draw is folding here, so why not 'act' like youre trying to make them pay. THEN if the flush card comes, you can throw out a bet on the turn and hope to get raised. with alot of action on the flop, you may get some action on a turn c/r. id still bet out. if i went for a c/r on the turn, id want the bet coming on my left. know your opponent. if not, bet out.

be careful of using strong moves on the big streets that may kill your action. it's very common to see and many play that way so theyll put you on a big hand. you want them to pay you off. (opponent knowledge helps)

when you flop a huge one, you want to represent as many possible holdings as possible so theyll pay off. which is why there are many hands you 'should' be jamming this flop with. make them put in lots of chips until they find out too late. then, if they start catching on, then start altering it a little. but not much. you still dont want a strong move to kill your action.

in your hand, the bet came from the wrong spot on the turn. though the others may not have called anyways.

just some stuff to think about

b