PDA

View Full Version : QTs on Pacific 3/6

udontknowmickey
12-17-2003, 11:47 PM
A very typical 3/6 game on pacific I pick up QTs in CO.
4 limpers to me and I raise to buy the button. Button and blinds drop. Should I have just called in order to better my odds?

5 to the flop of A89r. One of my suit. One person bets. 2 callers and I call on my runner flush and my gutshot chances. We drop 1.

4 to the turn of J completing the rainbow and giving me the nut flush. One person bets, one caller, I raise. Other player coldcalls and it gets reraised and I cap with limper calling all the way, other one drops after the capping.

The river is another Jack. it gets checked to me and I decide to check, fearing a full house. Weak play?

The callers mucked T8 and 9A.

Awells, MHIG

WillMagic
12-18-2003, 12:59 AM
Bet the river. If the guy had a boat he would have bet out - I don't think he would have gone for the check-raise.

Otherwise you played it fine.

Will

crockpot
12-18-2003, 03:25 AM
4 limpers to me and I raise to buy the button. Button and blinds drop. Should I have just called in order to better my odds?

yes. buying the button is an overrated concept in loose games. first, he is more likely to call the raise anyway. also remember that if you call here allowing the player behind you in for one bet, and he bets the flop behind you when it is checked to you, you get to see fourth street for the same two bets that you paid anyway.

on the river - the capper almost surely has two pair or better. if it was heads up with him, i would say check since he will probably have filled up about half the time, but with the third player in i would brave a bet and meekly call a check-raise from either of them.

TheRake
12-18-2003, 11:58 AM
Crock,

[ QUOTE ]
buying the button is an overrated concept in loose games.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. I think it is especially important in a game where opponents are more likely to play any 2 cards. I would much rather have these any 2 carders in front of me rather than behind.

[ QUOTE ]
....he is more likely to call the raise anyway

[/ QUOTE ]

That's fine with me too...

TheRake

surfdoc
12-18-2003, 12:46 PM
Am I missing something here? If the rainbow was completed by the J on the turn how do you have the "nut flush" or even a flush draw for that matter? I assume you mean the nut str8. I also disagree with the PF raise with this hand "to buy the button". The primary strength in that hand is for the flush draw and it makes more sense to come in cheaply as most of the time the flop will miss you and you'll have to muck. Once you make your hand, I think you played it fine. Betting the river would really depend on your reads of the other players. It is a little difficult from your post to figure out who was doing the raising so it's tough to advise. It looks like you game selection is good as your PF raise was called by a T,8.

udontknowmickey
12-18-2003, 02:59 PM
"Am I missing something here? If the rainbow was completed by the J on the turn how do you have the "nut flush" or even a flush draw for that matter? I assume you mean the nut str8. "

Whoops you're absolutely right, yes I did have the nut str8 and not the flush.