PDA

View Full Version : Hand from Party $50

theBruiser500
12-17-2003, 11:44 PM
There are 3 people in ahead of me, I'm in late position, we're playing shorthnaded. I have A10, raise to $4 (this is a $50 table), they all call so it's a 4 way pot. Flop comes 10 7 3 with two hearts. They all check to me, I have no idea what they have, what do you bet here (The pot was $15)? Do you bet, $5, $8, $10, $15, $20, etc. I have a $50 stack, there's another $50 stack, a $25, and a $45.

jacki
12-18-2003, 12:01 AM
--precomment warning-- i suck shorthanded

I'd bet the pot and fold to a reraise

daryn
12-18-2003, 12:03 AM
bet the pot.. but i don't know about folding to a reraise..

jacki
12-18-2003, 12:20 AM
well, what do you do with a reraise then? call or go allin?

vector
12-18-2003, 12:58 AM
When you raised with AT you were hoping to see what on the flop? Ace high? That would suck, your kicker would be too low. Sure, two pair or set would be good but realistically the flop you got is about as good as you could hope for. Raise the pot ($16). If reraised probably lay it down, unless it is the $25 dollar stack, in which case I would take him on ($9 more into a $32 pot).

But playing AT is questionable in the first place. Also, why play short handed? From some of your posts I assume you are not an expert NL player yet, in which case I would say that full handed games offer easier decisions, for instance muck ATo from any position.

For proper short handed advice I'll defer to those who know the game much better than me.

daryn
12-18-2003, 01:17 AM
good question, not sure. but a fold seems wrong. the guy raising him could be semi-bluffing a 4 flush or some equivalent .. what do you think these guys are just calling with preflop?

1800GAMBLER
12-18-2003, 03:54 AM
Raising here shorthanded is pretty standard, you have no reason to believe anyone else in the pot has a better hand and you are in late position. I'd need to know the blinds to decide how much to raise though, i'd want less of a field to up my flop bluff success chance.

I'd bet the pot and unlikely fold to a reraise or checkraise after it's been checked to the raiser, on a semi-bluff board with no 2 pairs.

1800GAMBLER
12-18-2003, 03:56 AM
Do you fold ATs in any position? i remember getting flamed for folding that UTG.

I don't think full handed games offer less decisions, i could imagine AT just being the AJ/AQ full handed.

vector
12-18-2003, 04:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you fold ATs in any position? i remember getting flamed for folding that UTG.

I don't think full handed games offer less decisions, i could imagine AT just being the AJ/AQ full handed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I said easier decisions, not less decisions.

But thinking about it that's not right anyway. Probably what I meant was easier decisions for me cause I don't have much idea how to play short handed.

Which begs the question why I responded at all -- just ignore me /images/graemlins/grin.gif

PS: in a full handed game I'd call ATs UTG if I thought I had a good chance of seeing the flop cheaply, or with plenty of other callers.

theBruiser500
12-18-2003, 10:41 AM
I think that shothanded games do offer more decisions and since I think I'm better than these partypoker $50 players, that's what I want. It means I can make money quicker.

At a full table, I generally won't play A 10 (although it depends on the circumstances) but like Jay said, A 10 is normally the best hand shorthnaded. Also, everyone is worried about the kicker with an ace. On Partypoker, I don't worry about it. I'll raise with A8 and higher, looking to catch just an ace. People will call you all the way down with A2, or A3. That's not to say I always raise with A8, if someone raises before it gets to me I won't reraise or even call, I'll fold. Using a good deal of discretion I always try to value bet my aces, even with weak kickers.

By the way, what happened in the hand was this. It wasn't checked around to me, I just asked that question because I was wondering what I would do if it was checked around to me. First person checks, second person checks, third person bets $5, I raise it to $15. First person folds, second players goes all in, third player folds. I thought I was beat at that point, but he only raised me an additional $10 so I called. He had K 10 and I took down the pot.

danny

tewall
12-18-2003, 11:26 AM
I'd be willing to commit my stack to this flop. You only have 3 opponents, and they just limped in, so the risk isn't great. You could get unlucky, but the odds are that you have the best hand and if you get played with it's just as likely someone is playing a draw or lessor hand than yours strongly.

The two factors that lead me to this decision are you only have 3 opponents and the pot is already 1/3 of your stack. You don't have much room to get away from your hand, and if you do, most of the time you'll be folding to a worse hand if your opponents are at all aggressive. You have to take a chance here.

So how best to bet? I'd probably bet the pot. If raised, call without thinking.

J.A.Sucker
12-18-2003, 01:35 PM
I agree completely with you. The money just isn't very deep and you just have to go for it.

WalleyeJason
12-18-2003, 03:06 PM
In the NL$50 game I have such a hard time putting others on hands. They are such bad players. Just last night I was in the BB and landed AQs. (I have $88) There were 2 limpers and I raise it to $4 only MP player calls the raise.

The flop was Qh 9s 4h

I bet the Pot and got raised So I'm thinking the guy($42 stack) porobably has Q9 a typical fish hand.

The turn is a rag 3c and I check...Middle fish bets $4 OK...He raised my pot bet on the flop...And now comes out On the turn with a bet of $4? Maybe he is trying to get me to move in on him? so I just call and the river is an Ac.

So I move all, and he thinks for like 10-15 seconds and calls.

He called with QToff.

I see this type of bad play by many, many fish in the NL$50 game. It makes it hard to put people on hands, making it difficult to know sometimes when your marginal hand is best. On the flip side of this, I have lost my stack a few times when my unimproved TPTK is beat by Q4 suited only to find they slowplayed the flop and when I made a nice 1/2 pot bet on the turn for value, and they move all in on me.

As many people that come and go in the NL$50 game Its tough to keep track of them, even with Notes and Pokertraker.

But of course, I dont mind:)