PDA

View Full Version : A turn check raise

Mike Gallo
12-17-2003, 11:17 PM
Hi everyone,

I had the following hand at a $5-$10 game at the Taj Mahal in Atlantic City.

I did not have a good read yet on any of the players in this game; I have not played a full orbit yet. I pick up Queens in middle position. Two limpers to me and I raise. The big blind calls, and the two limpers call also.

I did notice that the villain in this hand had played almost every hand. Add to the mix the fact that I had never seen him before made me question his skill level.

Flop J J 3

Checked to me and I bet. Only the villain calls.

Turn J J 3 10

The villain checks, I bet and he raises.

What should I do next?

I will give the results and my thoughts in a separate post.

Joe Tall
12-17-2003, 11:27 PM
No read eh? Call down mode? Does he look like he's going to stay awhile? Is he 'testing' the new player?

I bleed chips in situations like this in the first hour of play it seems.

I'd love to say 3-bet or fold but, I can't. I hate when it seems like a fishy-player is putting a test on me on a tough board.

Peace,
JT

JTG51
12-17-2003, 11:37 PM
There's no way I'd fold against an unknown player. Since he most likely has almost nothing or a very strong hand and will often fold or 4-bet if you 3-bet, I'd just call.

Mike Gallo
12-17-2003, 11:46 PM
I called the turn and river. My opponent turned over 9 10 offsuit, and I took it down with a better two pair.

I still do not know if I like how I played this hand or I hate it.

If I do not put him on some kind of Jack or pocket 10’s, I should have reraised him on the turn or river.

If I put him on a hand that beats me, I should have folded.

According to the fundamental theory of poker I misplayed this hand. I also feel like I played it a bit like a pansie.

Flame away.

Ulysses
12-18-2003, 03:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What should I do next?

[/ QUOTE ]

Anything but fold.

JTG51
12-18-2003, 04:01 AM
I feel like I'm back in high school with the way you are copying my answers.