PDA

View Full Version : KJs hand

JDErickson
12-17-2003, 10:06 PM
Fairly aggresive table, mostly with junk.

Party Poker 1/2 (10 handed)
Hero has K/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif and is CO

MP2 limps, Hero limps, Button raises, SB folds, BB folds, MP2 calls, Hero calls

(button was a mediocre player, 38% flops)(MP2 was a fish on a winning streak, played every hand.)

Flop(8 SB): K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif

MP2 checks, Hero bets, Button raises, MP2 calls, Hero calls

Turn(7 BB): J/images/graemlins/heart.gif

MP2 checks, Hero bets, Button calls, MP2 raises, Hero calls, Button calls

River(13 BB): 6/images/graemlins/club.gif

MP2 bets, Hero calls, Button calls

Comments?

Joe Tall
12-17-2003, 10:46 PM
This is an easy raise after 1 limper in the CO. I raise KJs in LP after several limpers also.

Check raise or raise the turn.

I think MP made a crappy 2 pair lik 56 and you should raise the river. Not raising the turn put you in a strange spot on the river when MP bets out of nowhere.

Peace,
Joe Tall

Homer
12-17-2003, 10:54 PM
Preflop - Raise with KJs from LP after a single limper.

Flop - Fine.

Turn - Why not check-raise? Given that you bet and were check-raised by MP2, I think you have an easy three-bet. MP2 is ahead with 55/TT/JJ/KK/Q9/AQ. The big pairs and AQ most likely raise preflop, so that leaves 55 and Q9. A typical player would check-raise with all kinds of 2-pair hands as well, so you should go ahead and three-bet. The decision is even easier with the third player involved, who is likely drawing to betweem 6 and 11 outs. Make him call two bets cold to see the river.

River - The decision whether to three-bet or call down was to be made on the turn, so since you called the turn, calling the river was correct. In other words, you should either three-bet the turn and bet the river (or call it down if capped) OR call the turn and call the river. Calling the turn and raising the river is wrong.

-- Homer

JDErickson
12-17-2003, 11:18 PM
The main reason I posted this hand was to show just how screwed up you can get by not raising when you should.

My failure to raise BTF put me behind the damn damn hand. When I was raised on the flop I was thinking KQ or AK. Thus I called

When I was Cr on the turn I was thinking a set.

So just to emphasis, bet bet bet

My hand held up over JT

Thanx
Jim

Carlos
12-18-2003, 07:21 AM
It seems to me that a bit of faulty logic has sneaked into your otherwise great reply.

[ QUOTE ]
The decision whether to three-bet or call down was to be made on the turn, so since you called the turn, calling the river was correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't seem to agree with the turn call and this line of argument presupposes that the turn call was correct.

Why not raise the river if you're sufficiently likely to be ahead? The fact that the turn was played incorrectly should't have any impact on how you play the river.

Carlos

Homer
12-18-2003, 12:47 PM
You don't seem to agree with the turn call and this line of argument presupposes that the turn call was correct.

What I was trying to say was that he has two options:

1) Three-bet the turn and bet the river

2) Call the turn and river

Neither of these options is correct 100% of the time, though I believe option 1 is the best play most of the time. One thing I am sure of is that calling the turn and raising the river is not an option, so had he raised the river after having only called the turn, that would be indicative of faulty thinking on his part. The fact that he called the turn and river is not necessarily indicative of faulty thinking. I simply think it was most likely the wrong option to choose of the two presented.

-- Homer