PDA

View Full Version : Smacking around a lurker

CrackerZack
12-17-2003, 04:08 PM
Seems we have a few lurkers around here. Clearing my bonus on UB...

I openraise UTG+2 with AKo, SB, BB calls.

Flop: A 6 4 rainbow

checked to me, I bet, only BB calls.

Turn: 7

check, bet, call.

River: 2

BB bets. Usually i just call here fearing a weird 2 pair, but I started thinking about the talk on here recenly about doing this play with a crappy ace to make sure you get a bet in the the river. So I raised, he called, I took it down, he had A9o. uh oh... we might be adapting.

lil'
12-17-2003, 04:11 PM
If he was a lurker, I'd smack him for calling you pre-flop raise with A-9o.

CrackerZack
12-17-2003, 04:13 PM
From the BB after the SB calls, you can do worse than this. It may not be good, but if I'd, say, raise KJo in this position, he can't be that wrong. Calling the raise on the river was incredibly awful.

JohnShaft
12-17-2003, 04:18 PM
Nice play Zack.
Talking about his Postflop play:
I made exactly the same call-call-bet play with a weak Ace yesterday against the Button who'd reraised my Cutoff Steal raise. He didn't raise me. He had Jacks though.

Mostly I think this is good play because an AK will rarely raise you, and an underpair will often bet the Turn and check the River.

Your adaption is good. But I've been waiting a while for someone who I could pull the *re*adaption on. Playing it this way, betting out on the river (with a hand that can beat TPTK) knowing they'll raise you so you can 3-bet.
If you tell me your name on UB I might try it on you. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Joe Tall
12-17-2003, 04:20 PM
How did you know it was a lurker? If it wasn't a lurker, would you still have raised?

Oh, and I like the thought process, nice play.

Hmmmm A-Rod and Mags,
JT

CrackerZack
12-17-2003, 04:23 PM
The evil re-adaption! I'd have to put notes on you for that.

CrackerZack
12-17-2003, 04:29 PM
I didn't actually but after seeing the move done and seeing it discussed here in multiple forums recently, I'm guessing it may have been one. If not somebody's learning somewhere else /images/graemlins/smile.gif

As for A-Rod and Magglio... for all the offseason I hadn't really cared as I know we'll counter any moves but those two really scare me. Schilling will be a disappointment but still pretty good but having a flyball pitcher in that park is just asking for trouble. If Clemens had finished his career there he'd been booed out of town. But A-Rod is the best hitter this side of Bonds and Magglio is tremendous in every respect and both are like 28. Sick. That lineup will be unreal. Have you seen Shandler's numbers for Ortiz? He's projected as the best 1B in the league by a lot. I have him in my fantasy league at $3 and still might have to trade him because I despise the red sox so much. Ugh.

PYITE
12-17-2003, 05:15 PM

JohnShaft
12-17-2003, 10:12 PM
Online 10/20, loosish, UB.

Loose (30%) UTG limper, I raise in EMP with AJo.
Folded around to UTG who calls.

Flop A /images/graemlins/spade.gif 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
Check, I bet, Call.

Turn 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
Check, I Bet, Call

River 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
Bet, I raise, Call

He turns over 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif to take it down with running two pair.

Am I on crack for the River raise? It just seems no matter what I do I can't win lately, and maybe I'm trying to push things... (What's worse is this is me taking my first shot at 10/20)
But this hand just sums up the way things have been going for me lately.

[FWIW without reading this thread I'm 99% certain I don't make this raise /images/graemlins/crazy.gif]

CrackerZack
12-17-2003, 10:34 PM
Sorry for inspiring you for 20 dollar loss. Although I'm not in love with your raise because due to how ridiculously together your board was, and the fact he was a limper. If he limped with Ax, you can only beat A2,8,9,T... plus the 4 straight on board, while no one should have a 5, if the limper is weak, it isn't to be totally discounted. The flush got there running, etc etc...

I guess I should've prefaced that I would only do it on a truly ragged board. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

JohnShaft
12-17-2003, 10:38 PM
Hahah I know Zack. It's my bad all over.

Really I was pretty sure he had something like AT/A9.
But they're are about the only hands the raise is good with. I wasn't scared so much of the flush or straight, but there's just a good few two pair combos out there as you said with the Ax.

I was pretty damn suprised to be shown 76o, two running pair mind. /images/graemlins/cool.gif