PDA

View Full Version : A play I never liked

gonores
12-17-2003, 03:53 PM
I rarely use this play at 5/10 or lower, but it seemed to fit this time.

Party 5/10 - 6max, with 5 seated at the time

I'm on the button with A /images/graemlins/spade.gif A /images/graemlins/club.gif

UTG (tight preflop, loose postflop) raises.
CO (LAP) cold-calls
Button (me) reraises
SB (call station) calls 2.6 cold
BB (first hand) calls two more cold
UTG and CO call.

5 to flop w/ 15SB

Flop: 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Checked to me and I check

Turn: J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif [6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif]

SB bets, BB folds, UTG raises, CO folds, I reraise, SB folds, BB calls

River: 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif [J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif]

Comments appreciated

Doug

lil'
12-17-2003, 03:57 PM
Maybe I'm dumb, but I don't get it.

Nottom
12-17-2003, 04:10 PM
The whole slowplay aces on the flop with a draw on the board play. I don't like it much either.

lil'
12-17-2003, 04:12 PM
Oh, I know what he's doing on the flop and what he's asking. I just don't get why he did it. Obviously some sort of explanation is forthcoming...

CrackerZack
12-17-2003, 04:14 PM
If you're gonna do this, you really really want the bet to come from your immediate right. knowing nothing about the players, its coming from UTG which puts the CO in the middle. knowing its party, its coming from the blinds which means you're in trouble as you just payment-planning the entire table. Not good times. Not a good situation. Bet the flop.

JohnShaft
12-17-2003, 04:33 PM
I guess a few of you remember that mangled post from some guy describing this play, then (when we'd all jumped all over him for it) he called us all stupid as Mason advocated it in Poker Essays. (Of course he'd totally mangled the hand description which defeated the object).

Since then I've been trying to think of situations where checking the flop with Aces so you can raise the Turn is a good move. I'm still not sure I've found one.

Gonores as for you using it on this hand I don't know. Maybe in this spot you'd just get more action from UTG (who has a high likelyhood of another big PP) by just betting? I can't argue with the chance of a 3-bet on the Turn though.

I hope you bet the River?

pudley4
12-17-2003, 05:50 PM
ick. This is a better play on a rainbow board, with the cards not so close together in rank.

J.R.
12-17-2003, 05:59 PM
That's different play where you are in effect slowplaying/inducing a bluff, I think this play was designed to maximize the chances of inducing his opponent's to make a mistake by calling 2+ bets on the turn with only one more street to come in a smaller pot than had he bet the flop.

By betting the flop he gets called and is less likely to have someone bet into him on a blank turn, so he can only confront the drawers with one bet in a bigger pot. By checking, someone may bet into him and he can raise, and he can save bets when an ugly draw-filling card turns.

SpaceAce
12-17-2003, 05:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ick. This is a better play on a rainbow board, with the cards not so close together in rank.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would go so far as to say this is never* a good play. Not at lower limits, anyway. Think about it, who slow plays one pair? With combination like 3-6 and 6-4 on the flop along with two of a suit, this play seems like suicide.

*MAYBE against a single opponent but not with several people in the pot.

SpaceAce