PDA

View Full Version : Can you top this DUMB play??

04-09-2002, 04:42 PM
A little background..I have not had a winning session in the last 8 times I've played bringing me from + for the year to -. I'm am losing today and am down to my last $35.00. $10/20 game with 2 ep limpers and the button raises. I call with 9,9. The flop is K Q 3 rainbow. EP bets, call, button raises and I FOLD..I've only got $15.00 left..I've got to leave after the hand anyway and I folded..Naturally the turn was a 9. Need I say more? Can anyone top that?? I hope not!

04-09-2002, 05:00 PM
Throwing more money into that pot is a bad play when it's been bet and raised and there are 2 overcards and the strong possiblity exists that even if you make your 22-1 spike on the turn you could very easily lose anyway.

Keep your $15.00. Buy yourself a nice dinner.

OK, just buy yourself dinner. /images/frown.gif

04-09-2002, 06:48 PM
Would have been a nicer dinner with $35, lol. Playing with too few chips was the biggest mistake.

04-10-2002, 08:15 AM

04-10-2002, 09:34 AM
I believe that 99 out of 100 players would have said to themselves "I only have $15. left and I have to leave anyway, I might as well throw the $15.00 in the pot." I agree that with two overcards it would not have been a bad play folding but the point is I had a bus to catch and had to leave after that hand...

04-10-2002, 03:27 PM
Would you still think you'd made a dumb play if the turn was a 2 and the river was a 3?

04-11-2002, 07:40 PM
This is really an irrelevant decision, it's mathematically so close, that either can is OK.

Before the flop, there are 9.5 SB in the pot. On the flop, there are 4 more SB in the pot, and it's likely that there are gonna be 2 more (since the others will likely call). This is $155 in the pot, so you're gettind ~10:1 on your call. The odds of you hitting the set on the turn or the river (since it won't cost you anything the rest of the way) are 2/47 + 2/46 = 8.6%. This is essentially a wash, though slightly -EV. However, if you feel better having won the pot than taking a measly 15 bucks home with you, then calling becomes "right" since the 15 means nothing to you, while 170 bucks can get a lot more. This problem does illustrate how going all-in with some seemingly desperate hands is really never that wrong; that's why suckers really aren't playing that bad when they do this with weak hands. The reason that you don't always play with a short stack is obvious (you won't maximize the profit on those hands where you are in the lead or are getting huge implied odds), but there are numerous occasions where the pot is laying ~10:1 odds and a free-roll becomes right. Just my opinion, but I'm just another sucker.

04-12-2002, 12:40 PM
Just my opinion, but I'm just another sucker.

You are no "sucker" with analysis like this. This was very interesting, and I never really thought about this to this depth.

How about this though:

I was playing $3-$6 7 Stud and a guy folded to my $6 bet on 5th street...with $1 left in front of him. This was about a $50 pot at the time (counting my bet and 1 caller). The really ironic thing is I was semi-bluffing a flush draw...so he had a heck of a chance that he was ahead (other guys board look straight draw-ish). Still drawing, but the last guy folded to my bet on 6th street. Thanks for the pot, wherever you are friend.

I guess he could have at least bought a Coke (not enough for the fruitplate), but he went all-in on 3rd next hand with crap.

Treefrog