PDA

View Full Version : Straight Flush Draw

JKratzer
12-17-2003, 09:52 AM
$100 NL Party. I have $208. I get dealt 7c8c in small blind. Three callers, I complete, BB checks. Flop 4s, 6c, 9c. I have open-ended straight flush draw. I check, BB checks, middle position caller bets $11 (has me covered). One caller, button raises to $50, (leaving $34 for him). I think about it and finally call. Questionable, but here's my thinking: Original bettor probably isn't too strong, wouldn't play a monster like that and I don't think the raiser is on a draw, he would either go all-in or call (or fold). Calling is weak, but because I am on a draw, I would like someone to call behind me probably, in case I hit. I see this as my most questionable move, but should I really lay down my straight flush draw? Close decision by me, but anyway.... Original bettor reraises all-in. Raiser calls last $34, leaving me to call about $150 to win about $370. At this point I am almost certain neither is on a draw, I put them on a set and an overpair. I again call (I hate that, normally I am the aggressor, but this hand had me stumped). Because of my indecision on multiple points throughout this hand I can't imagine I was correct in every (if any) point. What do you guys think?

Guy McSucker
12-17-2003, 10:40 AM
I think your play is fine, if a little passive with this huge draw. The big worry is whether or not anyone is on a better flush draw. If not, you have 15 outs and should be happy to get it all in. The only single hand that is favourite over you is a set, and not by much. If you're multiway, you've easily got pot odds to call.

If someone has a better flush draw your hand is much weaker, but you still have eight nut outs, so three way you are definitely tied to the pot.

I would prefer to play the hand more aggressively, though, so as to knock out any better but non-nut flush draws that are out there. A check-raise isn't such a bad idea. I think when it got back to me at $50, I would move in.

Guy.

crockpot
12-17-2003, 12:49 PM
unless you think you can knock out a higher flush draw by reraising (and they almost never fold on Party NL no matter how big the bet), there's no reason to raise and potentially thin the field here. i would have considered betting out with the hand originally, however.

the call on the last bet is somewhat iffy because of the chance that you are up against a set and a higher flush draw, but i would probably still close my eyes and throw my chips in.

JKratzer
12-17-2003, 02:52 PM
Well, the turn was a two, the river a nine. No help to me. The original bettor had 4 6, bottom two pair on the flop, which turned into shitty three pair, good enough to take the side pot. The original raiser had 9 8, top pair on the flop, 8 kicker. The river gave him trips: enough to take the main pot. Thanks for the feedback guys, I appreciate it.

Guy McSucker
12-17-2003, 04:08 PM
the call on the last bet is somewhat iffy because of the chance that you are up against a set and a higher flush draw

A set does look likely, but I don't think the other has a flush draw. Of the other two players, one bet, the other raised, then the first reraised big. Neither action looks like a flush draw to me. Am I reading this wrong?

And isn't there onw reason to push on the flop: so that you get to see two more cards, making you a favourite to hit, rather than being stuck with chips left over on the turn and much worse odds? If you miss and someone overbets you have to fold despite 15 outs.

Guy.

crockpot
12-17-2003, 04:21 PM
i agree somewhat with this logic, and against good opponents it might dictate how i'd play the hand. but against opponents who will pay you off if you hit, you might as well see what hits on the turn before you commit your chips.

it is true that you don't want to be caught out of position with a draw that misses on the turn and only a portion of your stack in. but this assumes the opposition is capable of releasing a hand when it looks like you've hit. here i would rather call the flop, call a small bet on the turn if the board doesn't pair, and fold if the board pairs or someone bets big on the turn.