PDA

View Full Version : ONE GOOD IDEA

Al Mirpuri
12-17-2003, 07:35 AM
When purchasing poker books many players use the 'one good idea' criterion. This is the notion that if a poker book contains one good idea in it that you can take back to the tables and turn into cash then the book has paid for itself. There are books that fail this criterion but it is a liberal criterion.

So tell me about the one good idea you have found.

Here is my instance: I purchased Killer Poker by John Vorhaus. Vorhaus is a professional writer and is a competent poker player. However, his book covered much ground that is already well covered. Though anyone who has not read anything on the pyschological side of sitting in a poker game could purchase it instead of any number of other books on that particular aspect of poker. I got a number of good ideas from his book but the best was: the concept of absolut. Absolut is a card game played with a deck of 24 cards; AKQJT9 in the four suits. Now play NFHE as if you were playing absolut with an absolut deck. Obviously, this trick tightens up your game. Yes, everyone knows you should not play loose in a NFHE game. However, his presentation of the idea is novel and convincing.

whiskeytown
12-17-2003, 08:31 AM
do you mean No Fold-Em Hold Em, or No Limit Hold Em -

both games necessitate the use of really high cards...generally

RB

Easy E
12-17-2003, 10:19 AM