PDA

View Full Version : TGC Freroll - Funny

Jackal22
12-17-2003, 03:21 AM
I registered for the nightly 3k freeroll. I then decided to go to bed. Couldn't sleep, and when I just now looked, I came in 190th place for a $4 win.

BigBluffer
12-17-2003, 06:48 AM
Welcome to the Gaming Club's Rake Rebate Program. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

MrDannimal
12-17-2003, 12:31 PM
Ha! I beat you. My table must have played slower.

pelasuni
12-17-2003, 12:34 PM
There are way to many places paid. Better to cut down to half. It's very annoying when you are seated at a table and 3-4 players are on check/fold, just to make $4.

BigBluffer
12-17-2003, 12:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There are way to many places paid. Better to cut down to half. It's very annoying when you are seated at a table and 3-4 players are on check/fold, just to make $4.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only reason it would be very annoying to you would be if they are beating you. /images/graemlins/blush.gif Are they? /images/graemlins/grin.gif From your perspective, this should make it easier for you to finish higher in the tourney. If that's not happening, then I can see why you're getting very annoyed.

As long as the tourney structure is the way it is, people will do it and there isn't a single thing wrong with it. So, just deal with it. Or don't play.

Simon Diamond
12-17-2003, 01:46 PM
Alternatively the cardroom could save their blushes by eliminating sit outs after a certain period of time. I have seen a few sites do this before - IMO it is ridiculous that you can sit out and make the money, although you cannot blame anybody for taking advantage can you? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Simon

pelasuni
12-17-2003, 02:21 PM
Well, I don't know about you, but I think that it's a huge difference between playing shorthanded (which is the case if there are 4 check/folders present) and a full table. I'm not so experienced in shorthanded play as I am in full table. And, why should someone be rewarded for not being present /images/graemlins/confused.gif Wouldn't it be best and most fair to those who actually are playing that the money goes to the persons present rather than funds being thrown out on "players" in bed?

Hirez
12-17-2003, 02:29 PM
i forgot that i signed up and went to the movies, i came back and some how finished #106th, making $6 /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I wanted to play but I completly forgot when my friends called me heh. so i got the see the movie for like $3 /images/graemlins/wink.gif

ElSapo
12-17-2003, 02:35 PM
Well, I don't know about you, but I think that it's a huge difference between playing shorthanded (which is the case if there are 4 check/folders present) and a full table. I'm not so experienced in shorthanded play as I am in full table. And, why should someone be rewarded for not being present

Are you saying you can't make the money while actually being at the table, but players who post and fold the entire way can?

Play less hands. Hell, if it's the only way into the money then play -no- hands.

What a weird thing to say.

HUSKER'66
12-17-2003, 03:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Alternatively the cardroom could save their blushes by eliminating sit outs after a certain period of time. I have seen a few sites do this before - IMO it is ridiculous that you can sit out and make the money, although you cannot blame anybody for taking advantage can you?

Simon

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally agree 110%.

I'm gonna add some fuel to the fire, how is "taking advantage" like this different than using the "all in/disc" feature?!?!?! (be gentle......I'm playing the devil's advocate here /images/graemlins/tongue.gif)

AliasMrJones
12-17-2003, 03:39 PM
I don't see how you can call this taking advantage. It is completely within the rules. You could enter the tourney and post and fold every hand. This would be completely legal. I don't see the difference between this and going to the movies. In a B&M they'll post and fold ya just like online.

Abuse of all-in is a totally different matter. Disconnect so you don't have to put more money into a pot that you want to see the river on IS against the rules.

pelasuni
12-17-2003, 04:17 PM
Taking advantage is not the point! I just think that if you want a piece of the cake, stay and play for it! I don't say that it's illegal or abusive in any way to fold/check throughout a whole torney - it's just rude behaviour against everyone who are actually present and playing. So, once again, why not cut down to say 100 paid places instead of 260 so those who actually are in the battle gets properly rewarded! Sometimes it seems that I'm the only player left in the world that play this for having a good time! Of course I like to win money as well, but the most important thing for me is to learn how to master the game and improve my personal skills, and hopefully not losing whilst doing this. But that is my personal opinion, and I don't blame anyone playing for a living. It's just that I find it a bit odd to use the freeroll as a "rake refund"! Why not get into the heat and try to win the tourney instead?

GrinningBuddha
12-17-2003, 04:27 PM
I agree with Pelasuni as far as the number of spots paid being excessive. I mean, what is someone going to do with $4? Drop the spots paid from 260 to 100 or 150 and make it worthwhile to play well, rather than rewarding people for simply entering and logging off.

I say this having done the same thing myself, of course. Perhaps TGC is trying to encourage the weaker players to play for the smaller amounts? Who knows?

BigBluffer
12-17-2003, 05:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why not get into the heat and try to win the tourney instead?

[/ QUOTE ]

When I can manage to stay awake till 1:00 AM, I do play and try to win. Monday night I played and managed to finish 20th around 4:00. I realized that after playing about 3 hours, I managed to win what I could make by sleeping through 4 nights' tourneys! /images/graemlins/grin.gif Now that's an eye-opening realization.

Gaming Club
12-17-2003, 05:53 PM
Re number of spots paid:

We're well aware that the pay schedule for this event isn't very attractive to good players, but then it's aimed squarely at the fish who figure they wouldn't normally place in the money.

At this point, notwithstanding the irritations caused to some players by the relatively small number who auto-fold, we think it makes more sense to leave the pay schedule as is, despite the temptation to set the game to auto-fold and then go to bed.

Re players who auto-fold their way into the money:

Strictly speaking, there's nothing wrong with doing this, and we certainly don't see this as similar to all-in abuse.

However, at some point a problem does arise since you could conceivably have all but a small number of players doing this, with some perverse consequences.

If the proportion of players who do this starts to rise beyond an acceptable level, then we'll certainly have to do something about it. From where we stand we don't think it's reached this point yet, but maybe we're wrong?

HUSKER'66
12-17-2003, 06:24 PM
I agree with our new friend from Sweden on this....why play if your just going to go to bed and put yourself on auto fold?!?!? I mean really how asinine is that? I find the irony and humor in some of the previous post mentioning this "phantom" feature here, but I only hope they are mentioned/brought up to point out a glitch in TGC tourny system. You got to put in the time if you want a chance to make a dime. I guess I don't see the motive of previous post describing this situation....was it to gloat? To laugh at the inabilities of some of the other entrants....the fact that someone can quit because they entered a freeroll tourny knowing that with hundreds if not thousands of players entered, it was going to take several hours to complete, and they still finished "in the money"? I'll agree it's not against the online poker rooms rules, if you'll agree that it's a shity angle shooter thing to do.

AliasMrJones
12-17-2003, 06:55 PM
Why would anyone want to shoot angles for hours and hours to win $4? I assume it is people who either 1) Forgot about it or 2) Had something better to do. UB kicks out no-shows after 20 minutes in freerolls. I think that is a fine thing to do. But I seriously doubt anyone is shooting angles when they no-show to a low-payout freeroll.

Simon Diamond
12-17-2003, 06:58 PM
Like I said Mr GC Guy, it is simply a matter of coding your software to remove the players who have been sat out for the whole tourney, after a certain time.

But I sense there are other issues with your software that are much higher on your priority list, if the posts on this forum are anything to go by.

Simon

fat_nutz
12-17-2003, 07:20 PM
It's painful to read a post with excessive use of bold text because it feels like someone is leaning on every goddam word. SIMILAR TO THE ALL-CAPS YELLING PHENOMENON!!!

just my 2 cents

HUSKER'66
12-17-2003, 07:31 PM
It's meant to emphasize....... that's the whole point.

Though I don't find it as annoying AS TYPING EVERY FRIGGIN WORD IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS.........that's really annoying, I agree.

Welcome to the forum /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

MrDannimal
12-17-2003, 08:58 PM
What's the difference to anyone at my table if I am there until 1:05 and manually click "Check/Fold Any" and sit and watch, or if I do it and leave?

How is it different if I sit the whole time and only play AA or KK? Is it different if I never see either hand?

I think it's far more irritating when you get about an hour in and the people who decide they want to stop start making all-in moves with garbage and typing in chat "I want to go to bed, please call me!"

goodguy_1
12-17-2003, 10:00 PM
$3K FreeRoll has been a joke all along.The $2K Freeroll many weeks/months ago had a better schedule if I recall and was worth playing.

Prima should pay out the top 10%-15% of the tourney so on a typical nite of 600 entrants top 60-90 players are paid.

This current pay schedule is a waste of a $3K Freeroll but I think Prima knows all this and understands it.They want as many as possible players(mostly mediocre players) to qualify for the rake requirements then divy up the freeroll according to this bogus schedule..its a waste and Prima knowlingly has structured the prize pool payouts to maximize rake.

Its all an an illusion to real value guys/gals.

too bad because if they restrustured the schedule $3K is a nice chunk of cheese to divy up for top 10% or so.

If it can help Prima reinvest in its third rate software and offer us more real value-added tourneys than it's acceptable but its obvious Prima is pulling in the reins a liitle bit with all the promo/overlay madness.

HUSKER'66
12-17-2003, 11:12 PM
I guess I just have a problem with the principle. If you enter the tourny, I think that you should play.(pending an real emergency)

MrDannimal
12-18-2003, 12:41 PM
I understand your point. I look at it as another form of bonus whoring.

I would be bothered if it hurt other players, but it doesn't. In fact, if you can identify the absent people you can pick up an advantage. If you have one two to your left (that is, he's the BB when you're the button), you can steal the blinds with more success because you KNOW he'll fold to a raise. Now you just have to worry about the SB.

On top of that, the check/folders (if there were a large # of them, which there aren't according to GC) are a virtual lock to go out in the 260-175 range because of the structure. That means if you make the money, you're probably getting more then $4.

Here's how I look at it:

If I'm playing at 11pm, I sign up. If I don't do it then, I'll forget (I've done this, and missed the tourney when I really DID want to play). If I'm still awake at 1am, I play. If the wife wants some lovin' or I'm tired, I won't wreck the following day to stay up and play.

Conversely, if TGC wants to boot me if I don't show, or re-work the payouts so that no-shows aren't likely to cash, that's fine. No skin off my nose.

I'd play every single night if I were on the west coast and it started at 10pm, though. It's just rough timing for me to start a 2+ hour tourney (if I play even half-decent) at 1am.