PDA

View Full Version : Overcard flush draw--hit top pair on turn

The Ram
12-17-2003, 01:33 AM
I watched this hand in 2/4 NL game @ P-Stars. I can't figure out if I like or dislike the play. Thoughts?

Hero is in BB w/ AcQc. 2 limpers and SB completes. Hero checks and they flop--$16 in pot.

Flop: 8h6c4c.

SB checks, Hero bets $12 (started hand with $440). One limper calls ($160 to start), and SB raises $12 (started with over $1000). Hero reraises $40 more, limper folds, SB calls. Pot is at $156.

Turn: Qh (8h6c4c). Now, Hero has TPTK and nut flush draw.

SB checks, Hero bets $125. SB raises $125. Hero then raises his last $130 all in.

My thoughts: PF is fine--why risk getting reraised w/ no position and an AQ?
Flop bet depends upon perspective, but I'm ok with it. After getting checkraised, with a draw as strong as it is, the reraise seems OK too, though maybe not quite big enough.
On the turn, the bet is fine, but after being min-checkraised AGAIN, I don't know if the all in raise is good or bad. Should he wait for the river? I figure he has to call on almost any river card, so is it worth waiting, since if the flush comes he might not get paid off?

I'd love to hear peoples' thoughts....

Zag
12-17-2003, 11:44 AM
I hate the reraise on the turn. It accomplishes two bad things: chases out the limper and gives SB a chance to rereraise if he really has a monster. This is a good play only if the SB likes to make check-raise bluffs and does it way way too often.

Once he gets check-raised on the turn, he should realize that SB has a straight. If he is especially unlucky, the SB has 5c 7c, and hero is drawing to only 5 outs. I don't see the point of reraising here. He barely has odds to call, and he'll probably get paid off if he hits the flush, anyway. I totally disagree that he "has" to call the river anyway. His TPTK is no good. I can't see SB playing A8 this hard. Maybe 7c8c -- naaaaaah. (But I agree that, if you feel he does have to call the river, then putting it in on the turn is better.)