PDA

View Full Version : Quick 6 seat lesson

jbslow
12-17-2003, 12:53 AM
OK, so how do y'all play 6 person. I have read HPFAP and the short handed chapter although good leaves some questoins (haven't been back to read it in about two months, so if these are in there, I am sorry)

OK, how low should I go in schlansky's hand rankings. Should I play as he reccomends on a big table but just play as if it was a loose game? I realize it has to be played more agressively.

Also what is early middle and late on a 6 person table?

I know these sound like basic questions, so if there is an old post you could point me to, that is great. It was too general to search for.

JB

stripsqueez
12-17-2003, 02:17 AM
its been debated way too many times...

try page 3 - "6 max tables"

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

jbslow
12-17-2003, 12:28 PM
Thanks sorry for the repeat. I just missed that thread.

JB

CORed
12-18-2003, 01:59 PM
Preflop: Pretend you're in a 10 handed game and the first 4 players have folded. This is a corollary of Abdul's concept of basing your preflop play on your position relative to the button.

Postflop isn't too much different from t0 handed.

jbslow
12-19-2003, 12:58 AM
OK, I played like this, and did pretty well finally. Also felt comfortable.

Used schlansky hands 7 for last two positions and 6 for middle two positions

Played blinds like a full table.

Valued AT, KT, QJ, KJ, etc. more than suited 1 gaps, etc.

Was aggressive and bet out winning some pots.

Now, I was still seeing 50% of the flops... is that about right? Was winning my share at about 17%, so that was good.

Any comments or suggestions?

soda
12-19-2003, 01:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did this cause anyone else physical pain?

jbslow
12-19-2003, 01:58 AM
OK, so tell me why it was painful. Should I play tighter? are there better starting hand reccomendations? I made my own modifications like I said to de-value the suited hands and up-value bigger cards.

stripsqueez
12-19-2003, 02:08 AM
50% is a lot

A10 K10 QJ KJ not suited, are all folds UTG in a "usual" 6 max game for me - in a loose pre-flop game i would fold them UTG+1 if UTG folds - i suppose the primary rationale for this is that the additional value attached to raising with such hands of "stealing" the blinds is not going to exist much, if at all, in the typical games you are playing in

small suited connectors are crap in a short handed game - short handed is a world ruled by rank and posistion

i do good in the 5/10 6 max games seeing about 30% of the flops - if anything a bit less - i played a 500 hand session recently where i saw 25% of the flops and won 9% of the hands played and finished $300 up ! - certainly i would expect to be in front if i won 12% of the hands played - i don't hold these stats out as being the only way to win in such schools but it works for me and its the common way - like most chooks i'm an action junkie - i fix that by playing multiple tables

stripsqueez
12-19-2003, 02:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did this cause anyone else physical pain?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes - i liked that sklansky is misspelt - it causes me physical pain whenever someone tells me or suggests to me that its a precise game...

soda
12-19-2003, 05:15 PM
Take strips advice to heart. 50% is way too much. Dump the riffraff of suited connectors, unsuited medium-biggish cards early, crap aces, etc.

The pain was from the spelling of Sklansky. I have no idea what a group 7 hand is though.

soda

bunky9590
12-20-2003, 10:00 PM
Heres the short version of it.

(Bunky's theory of 6 max)
Big cards and position......make the most of them.
pure and simple

DaveB
12-20-2003, 10:59 PM
Yeah I play 5/10 also and am among the tighter players but doing well so far. About 27% flops seen, 12% hands won.

dave