PDA

View Full Version : 5-10 Party poker, 6 max, do I need to read HEFAP?

BlueBear
12-16-2003, 11:19 PM
Hi,

I have been playing 5-10 PP, 6 table max for the past two weeks, and I normally am a NL/PL player (I am stuck with that kind of mentality), and I find the games fairly ok and a profit is definitely there to grind. I take detailed notes on the players that I play. I find myself losing money in these situations such as these:

1) failing to continue to bet the river when a scare card turns up
2) calling down too much when i'm beaten and not calling down enough when someone else is aggressive
3) heads up big blind/small blind play
4) not considering game/table selection
5) and others i can't think of right now

It seems to me that 5/10 is the line that divides poor-quality low-limit loose passive players and tough, aggressive players who know what they are doing.

My question is, do I really need to read HEFAP to prevent my a$$ from getting kicked or is playing straightforward low-limit poker enough to beat these games consistently? In other words, do I need more knowledge of advanced concepts to play these games?

BlueBear

Tuco
12-17-2003, 12:00 AM
Bear,

What are your notes on bobsacamano? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ive been playing these games for a few months now with alot of success. Straightforward low-limit play wont get you in too much trouble, but wont get you maximum profit as well. I find hand-reading skills my most valuable tool. I'll make laydowns for certain players that would make your head spin, yet i'll call another down like a dog with K high. When you get to the table, play fairly tight and watch to identify the weak players and go after them. Stay away from the tough ones unless you have a big hand. Be vary careful about protecting your blinds (especially when bobsacamano raises) as this will increase your variance substantially.

[ QUOTE ]
1) failing to continue to bet the river when a scare card turns up

[/ QUOTE ]

This is fine out of position, because you will OFTEN enduce bad bluffs that you can pick off, but in postion value betting is very key to this game. Not many there that can checkraise bluff on river, so if you bet with a medium strength hand and get raised, its usually a pretty easy muck.

[ QUOTE ]
2) calling down too much when i'm beaten and not calling down enough when someone else is aggressive

[/ QUOTE ]

As I said above, calling when beaten is bad because there are not many players good enough there to outplay you. When someone else is very agressive, I would reccomend moving to another game as there are many there choose from. Its easy to find a table with weak tights or weak bads. These are the easiest to beat (for me at least) with the smallest swings.

[ QUOTE ]
3) heads up big blind/small blind play

[/ QUOTE ]

The quality of your opponent in the BB is the key here. If he is a very good player, stay away from him. There are not many worse spots than out of position heads up against a toughie. Wait for a better spot. When in BB, be very aggressive if head up with SB. Steal alot of pots, and take a stand with a hand early to establish conrol of the relationship for future encounters.

[ QUOTE ]
4) not considering game/table selection

[/ QUOTE ]

See above. Lots of good games day or night.

[ QUOTE ]
5) and others i can't think of right now

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive played some with you (if you are bluebear at party) and have you down as weak tight. You probably need to play a few more hands, and play them more aggresivly preflop.

Tuco.

BlueBear
12-17-2003, 12:21 AM
Thank you for your kindest input and advice, yes you're spot on when you classify me at weak-tight. I normally play that way especially when I'm new to a table and make modifications on the play when I get a better read on the players. I'll check my notes on you when i get home. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bubmack
12-17-2003, 01:15 AM
HPFAP - does not really discuss short handed play that much - a few pages, but not earth shattering info - IMO.

However, any serious player that has not read HPFAP - is not a player serious about winning. You need to know standard ring game strategy and then learn how to adjust your game to play short-handed.

Bubs