PDA

View Full Version : 2+2 table question

Dylan Wade
12-16-2003, 10:20 PM
This is a pre-flop scenario that occured last week that I don't really understand. I'm sorry, I don't have the exact history, so I'll try my best to remember.

I raised UTG, with AQs or something.
The player to my left was BigEndian, aka "The Random Hand". He was trying to loosen up the table by being the ideal calling station. He called everything- and never folded. hehe..

Everyone folded (but endian) to someone in LP, I don't remember who, 3-bet with what I later discovered was 89o (could've been 9To, I don't remember-but it was definitely offsuit).

I said, "You must not have much respect for my play if you 3-bet my UTG raise with 89o, lol" He said "I did it because of The Random Hand".

I still can't figure out why The Random Hand makes this play possible. If this is a good play, then I'm definitely missing something in my poker arsenal, as I often encounter similar situations.

Any thoughts are appreaciated. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

BigEndian
12-16-2003, 11:16 PM
It doesn't. It was a horrible 3-bet.

- Jim

MrBlini
12-17-2003, 03:58 AM
It may have been me. I did something very similar. Upon reflection, I didn't like the play. But the more I think about it, the more I like it. Apart from my cards, I'm in the next best situation to playing Random Hand heads-up.

About my cards, then. They suck. When I don't catch part of the flop, or if it's scary, I'm hightailing it out of there. But when I do catch part of the flop, Random Hand is leaking perhaps about 1 BB/hand postflop, much more than a typical calling station. Random Hand will call bets, raises, reraises, and caps with very little or nothing at all. (This leak is conditional upon a player catching part of the flop. If a player does not catch part of the flop, Random Hand has a much better chance of being ahead and playing pseudo-correctly.)

The pot is offering me 5.5:2, but Random Hand's overlay makes this effectively 7.5:2. I have position. I don't want anyone else joining this party, do I?

GuyOnTilt
12-17-2003, 07:21 AM
But the more I think about it, the more I like it. Apart from my cards, I'm in the next best situation to playing Random Hand heads-up.

Umm...I don't see how this is anything like playing an any-two player HU. You're in the pot with a UTG raiser, and you're holding 98o. That's not a good situation to be in. While being HU with Endian with 98o might be alright, you certainly don't want to play that hand against an EP raiser, or any raiser for that matter. Position or not, that was a bad play.

The pot is offering me 5.5:2, but Random Hand's overlay makes this effectively 7.5:2. I have position. I don't want anyone else joining this party, do I?

The fact that an "any-two'er" is in the pot with you has nothing to do with adding overlay. You're not thinking about this correctly. Screw pot odds when deciding whether or not to reraise with an offsuit hand preflop. They shouldn't even be a factor, unless it's an all-in situation.

GoT