PDA

View Full Version : TT in EP - Mistakes galore?

AliasMrJones
12-16-2003, 04:36 PM
Party Poker 2/4 (10 handed) UTG was an extremely fishy calling station. Button didn't play a whole lot of hands, raised early into the session with AJo from early position.

Hero has T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif and is EP2

UTG limps, EP1 limps, Hero raises, Button calls, SB calls, BB folds, UTG calls, EP1 calls

With 2 limpers already do I raise here or go into limp and hope for the set mode?

Flop(11 SB): 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif

SB checks, UTG checks, EP1 checks, Hero bets, Button raises

Ruh-roh. He cold-called my PF raise. Would he have done that with 67? Would he have cold-called with Big Card-8? Frankly at this point I don't know what to do, but I can't see throwing away my TT so easily so I decide to probe with a 3-bet.

SB calls, UTG calls, EP1 folds, Hero 3-bets, Button calls, SB calls, UTG calls

He called. Hmmm...with a straight he'd probably cap it?

Turn(11 1/2 BB): 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

The 9 might have filled in a gutshot, but with the raise I don't think that's likely so I don't think this really helped anyone. He didn't cap the flop so I bet out.

SB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets, Button raises, SB calls, UTG folds, Hero folds

He clearly thinks he's got the best hand even with my PF raise and flop 3-bet. I decide to throw in the towel since I don't have much chance of improving.

River(16 1/2 BB): A/images/graemlins/heart.gif

SB checks, Button bets, SB folds

I was very surprised the SB check/folded after all of that.

So -- any help? I didn't feel very good after this hand and would like some pointers on what better plays would be. Also looking for suggestions on what he had. Unfortunately since SB folded I don't know. At the flop I thought he might have a straight and his raise on the turn conviced me, but afterwards as I thought about it, that seemed less likely.

Lost Wages
12-16-2003, 04:57 PM
Preflop: You can go either way with the limp/raise.

Flop: About the best non-set flop you can hope for with TT. The button could be raising with a wide range of hands here; top pair, overpair or even just overcards. Good 3 bet.

Turn: the 9 doesn't complete any straights it only makes a bigger straight for someone holding 76. When the button raises again I think you can put him on JJ or a set of 9's, maybe a set of 8's or 5's. Looks like a good fold.

Lost Wages

LetsRock
12-16-2003, 05:12 PM
Early raise or limp; depends on table.

Great flop, bet is good. You are right to fear button's raise. He DID call your raise and does think he has the best hand. If he's a tight as your read, he doesn't have a straight, he just flopped a set. Three bet is good and I just can't figure out why button didn't cap unless he's slow playing top set. Maybe he has JJ or QQ. (Tight players won't always re-raise with these PP)

Your fold on the turn is probably a good move. If he fired a raise on the turn, following a raise on the flop, he has a set (I just can't put a tight player who cold called a PFR on something that fills this straight or 2 pr). Based on this assumption, you need a T to beat him (2 outs) and you don't have near the odds for that. Not to mention that a T could fill in the SBs straight fishing expedition.

I think you should feel just fine about your play of this hand. You were reasonably aggressive, acted based on a read and gave it up at the right time. Asside from dragging the pot, what do you want from yourself? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

AliasMrJones
12-16-2003, 05:43 PM
What more I wanted was feeling good about my play during the hand (and after, I guess.) I was feeling a bit lost and just went with instincts. Didn't feel too good about the raise with limpers and then got whacked and disoriented by Mr. Button. I was also mad at the other guy for calling all that action the whole way then not calling button on the river so I could get closure.

I hadn't considered a set with all that straightness staring at me, but that would make sense, except that he didn't cap the flop and I'd think he'd want to be charging the draws the max. But, maybe he was afraid of a made straight that would call the flop raise and then get into it on the river. Course, then why raise the turn.