PDA

View Full Version : As8s mid pos

PRM
12-16-2003, 04:21 PM
Loose 9-18 game
Dealt As8s in CO+1. Loose UTG limps, loose raiser in MP raises, cold caller, I call, button calls, BB calls

Flop Ad Js 8h checked to raiser bets, cold caller folds, I raise, call around to initial raiser folds.

Turn 3d check around I bet, call, call, UTG check raise. I 3 bet folded around UTG calls

River 9s UTG thinks then bets I call.

Did I overplay turn or just right?

elysium
12-16-2003, 04:34 PM
hi prm
you have a raise on the river.

SpaceAce
12-16-2003, 04:37 PM
I don't think you overplayed the turn. It's possible he made a set of threes but I think it's way more likely that he waited until the turn to raise J8 or maybe (just how loose is this guy?) 83s. I say raise the river, especially after he only called your three-bet on the turn.

SpaceAce

astroglide
12-16-2003, 06:40 PM
i'd say just right. people often limp with AJ and loose people often limp with QT. if he's aggressive, i'm sure it wouldn't be past him to checkraise something like QTd here on the turn. of course you can still lose to a set.

you played it exactly as i would.

cruiser
12-16-2003, 07:00 PM
maybe i'm seeing monsters under the bed, but i think I just call the river too...

I think he's got an oddly played AJ or set of 8's. more likely the 8's. could see an early pos limp and then waiting till the turn to bet it up. although just calling your turn makes me wonder...

PRM
12-16-2003, 08:12 PM
UTG turned over 8h3h I smiled and wondered why I didn't raise the river.

PRM
12-16-2003, 08:16 PM
For a brief moment I thought about raising but to get 3 bet would send me to the mens room. Really when he bet the river I wasn't so sure I was ahead.

PRM
12-16-2003, 08:19 PM
After the hand several players were stunned I would 3 bet my hand. I felt I played it right just wanted to reconfirm
thks

PRM
12-16-2003, 08:20 PM
Space nice call on 83s
thks

ALL1N
12-16-2003, 09:24 PM
What's with the preflop call?

PRM
12-17-2003, 01:42 AM
The MP raiser has loose raising standards plus I was the fourth person in.

Bubmack
12-17-2003, 01:54 AM
Still, not a good preflop call.

The raise diminishes your implied odds, which was part of the justification of calling when four players have already called. You also have another player that has called his raise cold. How much worse than A,8 could his hand be? Not much if any. In fact it is very possible that you are dominated by the cold caller..

A,8 is just not strong enough to stand this kind of action...it helps that it is suited , but you are not in the clear, IMO. Now if the game was shorthanded - then you might be able to make a case - but not when you are squarely in the middle, having seen someone call the raiser cold and have others left to act.

Let it go.

Bubs

pianist
12-17-2003, 02:22 AM
The 3 on the turn obviously helped UTG, and that can only be the case if he has 33, A3, J3s, or 83s. The problem with bad players like this is there's just no way to tell which of these hands he misplayed. However, there are more A3/J3s/83s hands he could have than there are combinations that make 33. So technically speaking, even if you have no clue at all what he has, three-betting the turn is a value bet. Then when he doesn't four-bet, you can be even more sure he's on two pair and can also bet or raise for value on the river.