PDA

View Full Version : the overbettor

ericsind
12-16-2003, 02:23 PM
What's your strategy against the overbettor? I'm sure if you've played on the internet for any amount of time you've run into him. A guy that raises 10 times the BB every time he has what he considers a raisable hand. My experience is these guys tend to overvalue their hands as well. Then when they've got top pair, they bet 2 or 3 times the value of the pot at the time (and it seems to be regardless of their kicker).

It seems like you can just wait till you have a premium hand against these guys, but even if you do, they tend to run you off of some winning hands, because you don't want to commit to the pot with less than the top hand because of the size of the bet. I've seen several of these guys play like this and win, simply due to the size of their bets.

Eric

crockpot
12-16-2003, 02:52 PM
if he's really doing this every time, you just have to play it like a normal bet and be prepared to accept bigger swings. if the bet is coming through you into the field, tighten up as someone may wake up with a big hand behind you.

if he's altering his bet sizes, try to get a tell on him based on that. most players pick one style of sizing their bets and stick to it.

thomastem
12-16-2003, 02:58 PM
If you see him getting away with this why would he stop? As long as this play is profitable he shouldn't stop. Matter of fact if this is the most profitable strategy for this particular table perhaps you should give it a try.

The only way to slow him down against yourself is to come over the top. Do you need to show down or will he fold to a reraise?