PDA

View Full Version : Do I have the implied odds to play this?

JeffO
12-16-2003, 10:39 AM
I'll use this hand as an example. I'm in the BB with 27s. 1 EP raise and a cold call from the button, SB folds. I'm getting 5.5 - 1 to call here and the odds of me flopping two more of my suit is 8.1 - 1. Do I have the implied odds to call here?

I posted a question recently on playing small pairs from the BB in a raised pot and the responses I received concured that you would want 2 raisers or more to justify calling a raised pot from the BB with a small pair. Since your odds on improving on your small pair are 7.5 - 1 and your odds of flopping 2 more of your same suit in the example I used earlier are 8.1 - 1 would you play these hands the same or would you need more players in the pot?

AviD
12-16-2003, 10:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll use this hand as an example. I'm in the BB with 27s.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. I didn't read beyond that point in your post.

Brian
12-16-2003, 10:58 AM
Hi JeffO,

Suited cards and pairs are different. Not only are you less likely to get a Flop to your liking with 2 suited cards vs a pocket pair (as you know from the 7.5:1 vs 8.1:1, or whatever it is), but also even when you Flop 4 to the Flush, you'll only complete that 1/3rd of the time. So you need to be getting very good implied odds indeed to make sure that you get paid off handsomely when you DO make a Flush.

Also, pocket pairs don't mind playing in raised pots, because when you get a Flop to your liking, you are sure to get plenty of action. Flush draws are the exact opposite. You'd like everything to be relatively cheap while you are still drawing to your Flush, and this is less likely to happen in an already raised pot.

-Brian