PDA

View Full Version : Hearts & minds in Iraq

Cyrus
12-16-2003, 06:46 AM
"This is a major event in Iraqi history. How the United States handles this event is something that could be a defining moment for the future of the U.S. reconstruction effort in Iraq. This is one of those moments where the Iraqis are going to be watching us very carefully and if we seem arrogant, if we seem high-handed, if we suggest to them that we're not taking their interests into account – that's the kind of thing that could sour a lot of people who are already kind of ambivalent about how things are going."

These are the words of a former CIA staffer (http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/12/14/otsc.pollack/index.html) who's now without political bosses and is free to speak his mind.

He is of course absolutely correct. This is one of those moments in History that calls for grand gestures. Bush showed, surprisingly, that he may be capable of such gestures going to Baghdad for Thanksgiving dinner was such a gesture, not world-class gesture, but certainly championship quality. Little things like the right words and the right statements are making all the difference right now --- not just to Iraqis but to all the Arab world, as a matter of fact, since Arabs view the American occupation of Iraq with justifiable suspicion, if not outright hostility. Is Bush capable of such visionary leadership? (Is this a stupid question?)

I am reminded of this vital need for able, careful and inspiring leaders when I replay in my head the press conference announcing Saddam's capture : The American Lt. General in the live-televised conference could have elicited wild cheers and a standing, tearful ovation from all the Arabs present, if he would only finish the press conference, an emotional event of momentous proportion as it was, with words like "Long live free Iraq!" --- in Arabic!

The Lt. General chose to finish routinely (but pointedly) with "God bless America" in English.

MMMMMM
12-16-2003, 09:17 AM
I think it's a damn big gesture that Bush gave Iraq what? $67 billion? in grants, not loans, for rebuilding the country. Also that speech finale idea is so good I suggest you email it to the White House.

Cyrus
12-16-2003, 07:03 PM
"That speech finale idea is so good I suggest you email it to the White House."

Nah. Those scumbags at the White House when you talk to them about "the need for grand gestures" they immediately think you're hitting them up for money.

"I think it's a damn big gesture that Bush gave Iraq $67 billion in grants, not loans, for rebuilding the country."

See what I mean ?