PDA

View Full Version : so is it EVER correct to be pasive w/ TP GoodKicker in a multiway pot?

Tyler Durden
12-16-2003, 03:52 AM
good 2-4 online game.

I get AhQc in EP and raise. Terrible MP coldcalls. Cutoff (CO) coldcalls. Button 3-bets and he's bad also. Both blinds call all of that, and so does everyone else.

Flop comes AK4 w/ two hearts.
I want to checkraise the button so I check. Unfortunately it's the terrible MP who bets, call, call, button calls also. I decide to call and close. I'll see the turn and then figure it out.

Turn is an offsuit J.
I check again. MP bets, CO and button call, I call.

River is a 2, flush gets there.
I and MP check, CO bets, Button calls, I overcall. MP folds.

Was this terrible? Does this strategy have ANY merit?

Tyler Durden
12-16-2003, 12:48 PM

Brian
12-16-2003, 12:52 PM
Hi Tyler,

I've been in this sort of situation many times myself, and there was a thread on here recently which was almost the exact same thing. I think it was by ElSapo, about a month ago. You're out of position in a huge multiway pot with a strong but vulnerable holding. You want to eliminate players, but the wrong person bets when you go for a check-raise. I think I would have called the Flop also, but bet out on the Turn and hoped that MP raised.

-Brian

Robk
12-16-2003, 01:32 PM
Since your opponents are terrible, your hand is much stronger than theirs on average. So I would checkraise the flop, and jam until I thought I was beat. If you were against good players it would be much different.

crockpot
12-16-2003, 01:32 PM
i don't see anyplace where a check-raise would have made much sense. the only consideration is betting the turn hoping MP raises, but it is very easy for him or one of the others to have you beat on this board. i think it's better to check, and fold if it's two cold bets to you.

Tosh
12-16-2003, 01:47 PM
If MP bets you can check raise and trap everyone who has called one bet for a second one with a hand that looks to be good, so why is MP betting a bad thing?

Joe Tall
12-16-2003, 03:03 PM
In such games I think playing fast is the better option. Bet out on the flop and test the waters, if LP raises, then he'll shut out the blinds and you can 3-bet shutting out MP.

As for the way you played it: I still would have check-raised. I can't see why you would let off on a flush-draw board.

You may have learned a hard lesson in these fishy online games on when not to slowplay. Especially when you have a vulnerable hand as you do. You trapped yourself into become a call station.

Peace,
Joe Tall

Joe Tall
12-16-2003, 03:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If MP bets you can check raise and trap everyone who has called one bet for a second one with a hand that looks to be good, so why is MP betting a bad thing?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you Tosh.

Welcome back!,
JT