PDA

View Full Version : wuss and de-wuss

Vehn
12-16-2003, 01:15 AM
2 nearly identical hands that I can't really explain why I acted the way I did. Neither of which have I really been paying attention to my opponents.

#1)

Stars $10/$20. UTG limps, UTG+1 limps, I raise in MP with 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Everyone else folds and the limpers call.

Flop: J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Its checked to me, I bet, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

UTG+1 checks and calls.

River: K /images/graemlins/club.gif

UTG+1 checks and I check behind.

#2)

Party $15/$30. MP open limps. MP1 limps. MP2 limps. CO and button fold, SB folds, I check in the BB with 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

Flop: J /images/graemlins/club.gif8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I check, MP checks, MP1 bets, MP2 folds, I checkraise, MP folds, MP1 calls.

Turn: 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I bet and MP1 calls.

River: Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif

I bet and MP1 calls.

Odd huh? Results in white below, highlight to see.

<font color="white">#1) UTG+1 shows Ac3c and I take it down.

#2) MP1 calls with Kc8h and I take it down too. I play good.</font>

worm33
12-16-2003, 03:14 AM
Well the first hand, it doesnt seem like a bet you would miss. Hes a limper, hes isolated and is check calling. I guess he could have something like kq or qj but more likely a small pocket pair ace high or a diamond draw that made an 8 or something like that. I value bet to death in these online games, People just call a lot more. Hand 2 played perfectly.

Tyler Durden
12-16-2003, 03:58 AM
Vehn,
Can you tell me why you raised in the first hand? After two limpers, when I'm in MP I just call b/c of position and stuff.

Vehn
12-16-2003, 04:33 AM
Uhm its 2:30 and I can't sleep or think very clear but I think its a pretty good raise here if I think there's a decent chance I'll get it down to 3 way to the flop. Even 4 isnt awful. Obviously, 9 is pretty good too. Plus I like raising.

CrackerZack
12-16-2003, 10:03 AM
If there is something wrong with playing hand 1 that way, I need a lot of help.

Hand 2 I would probably check the river unless I thought he'd fold a J7ish type hand, which I think is never, so I'd check.

elysium
12-16-2003, 04:46 PM
hi vehn
the only thing to do differently would have been to raise from the BB pre-flop, and bet out or check-raise on the flop. hand 1 is perfect. i like the isolation reraise.

MRBAA
12-16-2003, 05:38 PM
Cracker, I think it is probably a mistake not to bet the river. Yes, a weak jack might just call down. But more likely is a small pair, middle pair with board that will call. With most players, you can fold to a river raise. Now, if the flop came with two overcards to a nine and the same action, then the river check would be my choice.

bad beetz
12-16-2003, 08:31 PM
you get raised on the river in hand 2 you muck?

Joe Tall
12-16-2003, 09:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
After two limpers, when I'm in MP I just call b/c of position and stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why I raise 99 in MP after 2 limpers. You mostlikely have the best hand. In addition, I usually have a good chance of grabbing the button improving my position on the rest of the hand.

Peace,
Joe Tall

2ndGoat
12-16-2003, 09:45 PM
I have no problems with hand 1.

Hand 2 I'm just gonna let go on the flop. Or at least that's what the little voice of reason inside tells me. In all honesty there's a pretty good chance I'll find a way to justify checkraising in the heat of battle, but this far removed from the table I see it as fancy play syndrome.

With a bunch of limpers, there's a good chance a jack is out there from the bettor, or possibly the guy behind you waiting for a checkraise of his own. If they don't have a jack, a large portion of their bluffs are probably not very far behind (T9 is 11 outs, spades+over is 12, depending on x, gutshot/overcard at 7 isn't even in horrible shape) so you don't gain all that much by punishing them.

Sure, I'll get called "weak-tight." But I think I'd take a small measure of pride from folding there.

2ndGoat

Vehn
12-16-2003, 10:03 PM
What does $142 in satisfaction buy you?

2ndGoat
12-16-2003, 10:27 PM
...more than $172 in the other guy's stack does.