PDA

View Full Version : Attacking the pre-flop raiser

DeuceKicker
12-15-2003, 10:29 PM
I'm seeing this more and more often on Party.

When I raise pre-flop, someone will raise (sometimes check-raise) me on the flop if any part of the flop hits them. This is killing me when I raise with AK or AQ.

The other day a guy (who I had no read/records on) bet out, raised, or check-raised me four times in four orbits when I raised pre-flop. Each time, he'd caught middle pair (usually 7-10) or better and my hand didn't improve.

He wasn't a bluffer, so the reason he was raising with middle pair is because he figured a pre-flop raise meant AK or AQ.

How do you handle a guy like this? There was usually a third player in the pot, so re-raising could likely end up costing me even more as the odds of both of them folding probably aren't that great. Do I stop raising pre-flop with these hands if he's in the pot? That seems like a drastic change to make to adjust to just one player, but I was getting killed otherwise.

daveymck
12-16-2003, 05:24 AM
AK even with my small records (900 hands) is my biggest leak, today I will be searching the archives to get some advice on it.

My feeling on this situation is if the guy is doing that a lot you either check call or my favoured would be to check fold. If he has a piece of it you are behind with only 6 outs (any of which could be dominated if he has AX/KX and the X is on board).

AK and AQ are only strong pre flop and if the flop hits, when it misses sometimes you have to let it go and go onto the next hand.

Webster
12-16-2003, 08:12 AM
Remember - AK is ONLY nice pre-flop - it if misses all you have are overcards which are pretty worthless and will suck you dry.

I'd say he's playing a pretty strong game and admire him (up to a point). AK is a quick toss if I don't hit and am feeling pressure.

Playing over cards with nothing is HUGE leak!

As far as THAT guy - as long as nobody tells him different he thinks he has the lead. IF you hit you better re-raise him and let him know he's beat.

stoxtrader
12-16-2003, 09:49 AM
muck your cards on the flop after taking one shot at it - the other thing you can do is raise small pairs and suited connectors in late position in a family pot - you are getting the correct odds to do so and If a rags flop ends up hitting you and smart guy check raises, that's a nice trap...