PDA

View Full Version : Only in L.A...

onegymrat
12-15-2003, 09:15 PM
$6-$12 live. Typical Saturday night. Full table. UTG raises (villain who is a frequent pf raiser, but good player postflop). EP calls. Folded to button who three bets. I called three cold with K /images/graemlins/spade.gifK /images/graemlins/club.gif, not capping to see if UTG caps. He just calls as does EP. Hmmm, no AA or QQ, huh? Four to the flop.

Flop: 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif2 /images/graemlins/club.gif6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

I check. I decided that no matter what the turn brings, I'm check-raising his ass. UTG bets, we all call. Four to the turn.

Turn: J /images/graemlins/heart.gif

I check. UTG bets, EP folds. Button calls and true to my word I raise. UTG pauses. From the corner of my eye, I can see the fool on the button pick up his cards as if to double-check his hand, ready to fold. UTG finally calls, button folds. Headsup to the river.

River: 10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I bet, UTG raises.

slavic
12-15-2003, 09:26 PM
JTs is a raising hand from EP isn't it?

onegymrat
12-16-2003, 02:31 AM
I called his raise. UTG turns over pockets tens for the rivered full house. Was I doomed from the beginning? Did the button's premature gesture to fold cause UTG to call the turn?

GuyOnTilt
12-16-2003, 02:36 AM
JTs is a raising hand from EP isn't it?

You don't actually put him on JT, do you slav? If so, your hand reading skills need some brushing up on. TT is the most likely culprit here.

GoT

slavic
12-16-2003, 03:12 AM
GOT - I did put that up in jest. I had a hand at the commerce 6/12 that was capped pre-flop between me with KK and a guy with JTo, we had 32 callers in between. The river came J high and I tried everything I could to get players out of that pot. Alas I was doomed as he hit his gutshot straight on the river calling 2 bets cold on most streets.

So in an LA cardroom I can believe anything.

Yeknom58
12-16-2003, 09:01 AM
What hand did you put him on before the river?

Anyway, I think TT was going to make the call no matter what so don't sweat the out of turn folder.

onegymrat
12-16-2003, 01:57 PM
I put him on a medium pocket pair initially since he did not cap preflop. Obviously, after the turn call and river raise, it was fairly clear he had either JJ or TT. Unfortunately, not clear enough for me to lay it down.

The reason for the post is stupid, I'm venting. I lose four more pots to him, one and half racks, before I crack him a couple of times for me to break even (up 3BBs!) and get the hell out of dodge.

SpaceAce
12-16-2003, 04:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I put him on a medium pocket pair initially since he did not cap preflop. Obviously, after the turn call and river raise, it was fairly clear he had either JJ or TT. Unfortunately, not clear enough for me to lay it down.

[/ QUOTE ]

He had TT so even if it was perfectly clear, how could you lay down KK? This hand didn't leave you much choice. You had to play it and you just got a bit unlucky at the end.

I will say that not capping pre-flop might have been a mistake. All that action smells like an Ace just waiting to pair up and kill your Kings with a probable pocket pair in there for good measure. I think you need to push them out or at least make them pay as much as possible for the flop. I understand that you wanted to watch for someone else with AA to cap but I still think capping with KK is in order. You might have lost TT somewhere along the line because he would have been able to put you on a pair higher than TT if you had capped the action pre-flop.

SpaceAce

onegymrat
12-16-2003, 06:42 PM
Ace,
[ QUOTE ]
You might have lost TT somewhere along the line because he would have been able to put you on a pair higher than TT if you had capped the action pre-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]I don't feel that capping preflop would have had an effect on him folding prior to the river. I don't see me playing this hand any differently in this situation. UTG not capping was a big tell for me, because he is the type to cap with QQ-AA. The flop was perfect for me to make a move on the turn. If you were in his shoes after facing a cap preflop, would that prompt you to lay it down any easier than without?

Here's what I would be thinking if I were in his shoes in the hand described leading to the river.
Flop bet: Good, I'm ahead, unless SB coldcalls with a deuce, but not likely.
Turn bet: Crap! He checkraised me! Does he have a deuce? Even if he doesn't, I can't beat a pair of jacks. The button still has to act, he may have a jack or possible reraise. I only have 2 outs (22 to 1 drawing vs. 12 to 1 pot). I'm folding...

That's my rational on this. I still feel it was really bad poker for him to call the turn raise, but that didn't stop the ten from coming. Oh well, next hand, right?