PDA

View Full Version : Another Aggressive BB

Inthacup
12-15-2003, 09:12 PM
UTG, UTG+1 and UTG+2 limp. Folded around to me, I raise with A /images/graemlins/club.gifJ /images/graemlins/club.gif. They call.

Flop: 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gifJ /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I bet, UTG and UTG+2 calls.

Turn: A /images/graemlins/heart.gif

I bet, UTG raises, UTG+2 folds, I 3-bet, he calls.

River: 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

I bet, he calls.

He shows A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I think I played this hand perfectly. I would like to hear some thoughts from others.

Cup

Diplomat
12-15-2003, 09:16 PM
Yawn. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

-Diplomat

Inthacup
12-15-2003, 09:22 PM
Yawn.

I know this may be boring to all of you seasoned mid limit winners, but raising AJs in the BB vs. 3 EP limpers is not a routine play for a recent(within the last 6 months) LL graduate like meself.

Diplomat
12-15-2003, 09:44 PM
Hey ITC,

You did not put anywhere in your post that you were in the big blind, or I missed it. I assumed late position...

...actually, in either case, it looks about right to me. This happens to me a fair bit - you bet the flop, a flushdraw just calls because they fear a re-raise on the flop (I would, a tight player raising out of the blinds) but when the ace hits the turn, they assume you have a hand like KK or QQ (because, well, I have an ace, there is one on the board, and you bet the flop, and I have outs...etc.)

Looks good from here. I guess the raise pre-flop is either/or, but I'd usually raise.

-- the yawn means you played it fine. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Diplomat

Ulysses
12-15-2003, 11:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think I played this hand perfectly. I would like to hear some thoughts from others.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks very straightforward. What did you think might be a point for discussion?

LJH
12-15-2003, 11:54 PM
YOU WERE MAHVALOUS, AS BILLY CRYSTAL. ALWAYS SAYS.LJH

Inthacup
12-16-2003, 12:23 AM
What did you think might be a point for discussion?

Until recently, I would have just checked this hand in the BB. My blind play is something I've been thinking about a lot lately. Also, I've been playing a lot of shorthanded lately. It's definitely helped me step up the aggression, but with it has come a lack of respect for what my opponents have. Hand reading has become less of a priority as it's harder to know what my opponents are calling and raising with.

During the hand, the 3-bet was automatic, however upon looking back on it, I think that an open limp from UTG could be a mid pocket pair. While some of these hands may seem straight forward, please understand that I'm moving from an ultra LAG to more straightforward tight aggressive approach. In many cases, these are "reality checks". Sorry if this seems like rambling, but it makes sense to me.

Cup

astroglide
12-16-2003, 12:31 AM
yawn.

elysium
12-16-2003, 04:24 AM
hi intha
raising the UTG limper and over-callers with AJs isn't going to win you very many ev points if you don't play well post flop. this situation is not as good as you think it is. wait a minute......you're the BB......oh.

you got me on this one intha. i don't know whether you should or shouldn't raise in with this from that position. in these type situations, if you don't feel compelled to enter in, you shouldn't. and there is nothing compelling about raising a bunch of EP's with AJs from the BB.

if you call and an A flops, you are better off calling the UTG bet-out when the pre-flop hasn't been raised. if the bet on the flop when an A flops comes from LP, you definately don't like the UTG reraising. so check-raising is hampered when the UTG checks. but he won't likely check if no one raises pre-flop.

you need to consider how raising pre-flop changes the complexion of the game. and since with AJs you would like to call the UTG when an A hits, having your action close the round of betting, and being in relative last position.