PDA

View Full Version : How long cold cards can last?

03-30-2002, 10:40 PM
I was playing 5-10 and 10-20 at the TAJ on thursday, I was sitting for about 10 hours total.

I never saw AA, KK, QQ, JJ. I saw AK once and AQ twice. My biggest pocket pair was 1010 i had it once. Im just curious if anyone has ever had this happen to them. My table image went down the toilet and i was very good in avoiding tilt i think i lost 300 dollars on just folding.

Anyone have anything similar happen? Is this normal?

-Raxe

03-30-2002, 11:41 PM
10 hours worth of bad cards isn't even a long time. Do you really think you are the only one who can get a small streak of not seeing big pairs?

03-31-2002, 01:01 AM
I only play once a week at best, but I have gone through some pretty ugly periods of bad cards. They say it evens out after a while. Probably quicker for you if you play more. There should be archives on how long is a long run of bad cards. I think I read months of bad cards for a few.

On a positive side, I would rather see ugly cards I can throw without a second thought rather than hands that consistantly come up second best on the river.

03-31-2002, 02:26 AM
Once went seven hours (give or take fifteen minutes)in a $10-$20 holdem game without winning one hand. Given length of time, losses were minimal.It happens, and you've just got to deal with it.

03-31-2002, 04:10 AM
I once played eighteen hours without seeing a single group 1 hand, one KQs and one 99. I lost 700 dollars during that span, over five hundred of which went into the blinds.

Look on the bright side-- when you get a run like that most players would lose three times as much as you did.

03-31-2002, 04:26 AM
A few days ago I lost about 25BB in an hour. First hand flopped 2nd full and lost, 3rd hand played AXs on the botton, flopped a 4-flush that I made on the turn and the board paired on the river - boom, beat by a boat. 1/2 hour later AQo and lost, I forget how.

The night did not get much better, ended up down 30BB. The next day I went to get sinus surgery, so I guess you can say I've had a yucky weekend. /images/wink.gif

03-31-2002, 11:45 AM
Yesterday (Sat) at Foxwoods while playing 5/10 w a kill the 1st hour and a half I had AA,QQ,JJ and tt 3 times. I did not win one of those pots and most of the time your in at least until the turn. I was getting decent pockets most of the day and managed to win a few pots but for the most part I was getting killed on the turn and especially river. Even after reading all the books and looking at forums it makes you think that luck plays a bigger part in the outcome than you would think. Bottom line if I had a choice I would rather not get good pockets only to lose on the river to someone playing 57. You'll have more cash for your next session in your scenario. Good Luck'''

03-31-2002, 11:48 AM
If your definition of cold cards are high pocket pairs incl. AK, and AQ, not getting them can happen in sessions not hours. However, there are other hand groupings other than those mentioned above that are playable, e.g KQs, JTs, 99, 88, even 87s, etc. depending on position. If you fail to recognize the opportunities of playing these, then you will have a real long sessions of "cold cards". The likelihood of similar hands being dealt although sporadically, in a session is quite high.

03-31-2002, 01:00 PM
Big pocket pairs shouldn't be that hard to play at the smaller limits, since you're usually two or three betting pre-flop, which means your average player will 'let you know' when they've got you beat. This being the case, it's easier to get away from them than most people think (unless, of course, the pot is monstrous).

I don't know how your hands went down, but watch out for getting married to big pocket pairs. It'll kill you.

03-31-2002, 04:33 PM

03-31-2002, 06:01 PM
ok well, let me elaborate, I never had JTs, I had 99 once, 88 once, i had 87s 3 times twice under the gun and once in an early position. I never had KQs, i had KQo twice, once it was 3 bet to me and i folded and the other i got a free look from the BB with the flop being A27, checked and then 2 bet to me.

: )

-Raxe

04-01-2002, 01:00 PM
a couple weeks ago i enter game in big blind, and by the time ive played both blinds and button im down a rack and a half.

it must have really looked funny to everybody because i just sat down and basically went nuts (with AA,KK,and QQ), but never showed my cards.

brad

04-01-2002, 01:15 PM
For what it's worth...

Assuming you're seeing 35 hands in an hour, the odds of not seeing AA through JJ in a ten-hour session are about 120:1 against. It's unlikely, but not absurdly unlikely, and if you play enough it *will* happen to you. (If you played every Saturday night, for example, it will happen roughly once every two and a half years; if you played every day, every four months on average.)

04-01-2002, 11:57 PM
Just came back early this morning from an 11-hr 5-10 session and sad to say, I went home with my tail between my legs. It was a cooolllllddddd run of cards with very few playable hands. Even with those, I missed the flop completely - just like a drunken pitcher who can't even hit a brick wall. Examples are: calling preflop with mid-suited or high connectors at MP or LP with enough pot odds and getting ragged flops or wrong suits, etc., etc and players, betting/raising in front of you. The bottom line is I lost 3.5 BB/hr.

So, it does rain in our parades at times. Hopefully, the past session is just a brief thunderstorm or rain-shower and not a tropical storm. I will know it on my next session :>)).

04-02-2002, 04:49 AM
It has happened to me many times - usually when I am sitting in a great game. In fact, I'm in the middle of a pretty good streak right now. I haven't seen pockets aces for at least the last 25 hours.