PDA

View Full Version : Dealer Help

Still the Spank E
12-15-2003, 03:56 PM
Will the dealer tell you how much is in the pot if you should lose count?

Easy E
12-15-2003, 04:08 PM
I believe that only in big-bet games will the dealer count down the pot.

Sorry, you're stuck with doing it on your own. Keep practicing.

LetsRock
12-16-2003, 12:33 PM
If you ask, the dealer will usually count the pot for you. (It's usually faster then someone mentally wading through the chips trying to get a total.)

BUT...you are giving away information to the other players if you ask this kind of question. If I see that, then I will know that you are "educated" enough to be comptemplating pot-odds and will adjust my play accordingly. If you don't want people knowing that, you need to figure it out on your own.

One method I've read about is to count the bets as they go in. I haven't tried this, but it makes sense that it can work.

HUSKER'66
12-16-2003, 04:37 PM
No. At least not at the tables I've played. It is really not that difficult to keep track. The dealer will usually announce how many to the flop, how many to the turn etc. So keeping the blinds in mind, lets run through one ok? Your in LP(late position) and 4 call before you (4), you limp (5) small blind folds, big blind calls.(6.5 sb-small bets)Dealer annouces "six to the flop".....(depending on the limits I would probably discount the small blinds 1/2 bet because it's going to rake, so for argument we'll say 6 sb's)Flop comes fold, bet, fold,you call, blind calls.(how many now? 6+3=9sb) Take this number and divide it in your mind by two before the turn and count by one the rest of the hand. Using the ex. above we now have 4.5 Bb(big bets) in the pot. Turn player first to act checks, you bet /images/graemlins/wink.gifbig blinds call, first player calls. (7.5 Bb)River....same scenario (check, bet,call,call)That puts us at 10.5 Bb. Practice this technique and you'll be able to calculate the pot at any time in the hand.