PDA

View Full Version : You'll get a kick out of this one

JeffO
12-15-2003, 03:46 PM
I'm in the BB with 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

CO calls, SB calls and I check. 3 see the flop

Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

SB bets, I call and CO calls. Turn is a 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

SB bets, I call and CO calls. River is the 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

SB bets, I call and CO calls. SB shows his pocket Aces, CO had a Q and I win the pot. Then the SB starts ripping into me for staying with my 5Ts. He limps with his AA, I see the flop for free, and this guys going off at me for playing no fold em. Of course I let him have it right back. What a MORON.

Nottom
12-15-2003, 03:47 PM
You should have raised the river.

JeffO
12-15-2003, 04:05 PM
"You should have raised the river"

I have to disagree with you here. There is still a player to act behind me and a raise might scare him off. Also one of these two could have easily been on the same draw as me with a higher flush.

crockpot
12-15-2003, 04:10 PM
first, raise the river.

second, stop chewing out those who chew you out. it creates hostility that drives the fish away, and he'll stop giving you free looks in the big blind from now on.

JeffO
12-15-2003, 04:14 PM
If I raise I might scare off the CO. With him calling I only risked 1 bet to win 2. If I raise and he folds and the SB calls then I've risked 2 to win 2. Also my hand is far from the nuts anyway. Theres a pair on the board and a higher flush isn't impossible.

crockpot
12-15-2003, 04:20 PM
you played the river correctly if the small blind is a habitual bluffer and the button can lay down a good hand for two bets.

if you thought there was a good chance someone else was on a bigger flush draw, then the pot was not big enough for you to keep playing in the first place.

Still the Spank E
12-15-2003, 04:24 PM
The person you describe is what is known in scientific circles as a moron. A moron may well be convinced that you were supposed to FOLD THE BIG BLIND IN A UNRAISED POT, then NOT DRAW TO THE DIAMOND FLUSH. Be kind to the moron, as s/he freely and generously gives his/her money away to anyone and everyone. Give him/her a cookie, a pat on the head, and a sympathetic smile and they will always look to sit at your table on the idea that YOU are the weak player who doesn't know what they're doing.

tpir90036
12-15-2003, 04:45 PM
if you were legitimately afraid of a higher flush draw based on reads of your opponents then you should have folded on the flop. on the river you are in possession of the hand you were trying to build. three cards of the same suit on the board is not enough to conclude someone was on a flush draw as well.

also, the original player will call the river raise, so you make the same amount even if you scare off the other player. but you stand to make more money by raising in the event that both players call. plenty of worse hands will call you here, so it's win-win.

raise the river...

Aces McGee
12-15-2003, 05:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You should have raised the river"

I have to disagree with you here. There is still a player to act behind me and a raise might scare him off. Also one of these two could have easily been on the same draw as me with a higher flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really think the SB would fold to your raise on the river? If not (I don't), then you're not losing any bets by raising the river and might gain a couple more if the other guy calls two cold.

And, as someone already said, if you're worried about a higher flush, muck on the flop. That being said, I wouldn't worry about a higher flush. Too unlikely.

McGee

CrackerZack
12-15-2003, 06:07 PM
I'd raise this river somewhere in the neighborhood of 98% of the time.

Homer
12-15-2003, 06:12 PM
This post should be in the NV&G forum, since you aren't asking for advice.

-- Homer

AliasMrJones
12-15-2003, 06:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and this guys going off at me for playing no fold em. Of course I let him have it right back. What a MORON.

[/ QUOTE ]

Forget your play during the hand, arguing about correct play is BAD poker. Arguing about anything is bad poker. I can't stand players that berate others' play -- they drive the fish away. First off, if you think you played this correctly, obviously he would not play it correctly -- why do you want to correct his bad play? Secondly, you are both creating a hostile environment that will possibly drive the fish away -- why take even a chance of doing this?. I want to be the friendly player that congratulates players when they win, even when they suck out on me, and everyone likes playing with.