PDA

View Full Version : weird hand in a weird game

Che
12-15-2003, 03:31 PM
7 left in a two-table 30+3 sng (4 paid)
200/100/no ante

Caller 1 (chip leader: T8950) limps UTG.
He’s been at my table for 20 or so hands. Has called significant chunks of his stack twice (neither player had him covered but both were close). Had trip K’s on one, second pair weak kicker on the other. Won both times without improvement. I guess the second one was a good read since both players came from the other table, but I certainly haven’t forgotten it.

Caller 2 (second biggest: T4345) limps UTG+1.
He’s been at my table the whole time. Has called two allins (neither had him covered, but again, both significant chunks of his stack). Had TPTK on one and third pair on the other. Won both times (also without improvement). Seems solid in all other areas of his game, including his chatting. (He went on a long rant early on about all the minraising. We had several chronic minraisers at our table – CrisBrown would have hated it.) But despite the overall solid play, I can’t forget the allin calls.

Folded to me (others have between T2100 and T3200).
I have T2580 after posting the big blind. I check my A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

Flop: A /images/graemlins/spade.gif 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I’d obviously like to play this hand, but I’m not ready to go allin yet. Weak?

I don’t see checking as an option either. Caller 1 has me covered by a mile and has already put me allin once when I checked to him (I folded). So, a check would most likely have been a check-call, which is worthless in this situation. At least I thought it would be a check-call at the time, but having the second biggest stack acting after him might have tempered his aggressiveness, making a check a reasonable play.

Whatever the best play might have been, the play I made was betting the pot (T700). Caller 1 and Caller 2 both called (naturally).

Turn: 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif

2800 in the pot and I’ve got 1880 in front of me. I considered checking since I was probably way out in front with my top pair plus nut flush draw, but then I figured that something might hit the river that would lead my opponents to fold to a big bet then (not to mention that they might suckout on me with the potential free card) while they would probably call now thinking I was bluffing (4 /images/graemlins/club.gif isn’t exactly a scary card). So, I pushed in. Both called.

They both checked the river (2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif).

Caller 1 had A9o for third best, but Caller 2 had A /images/graemlins/club.gif 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif and called me down after flopping a better two pair. I thought his play was odd given the two-suited flop. Was he right to call along or should he have raised my flop bet? Maybe he figured that a flush draw had odds to call so raising served no purpose. Better to look at the turn before pushing, only I beat him to it.

Comments on all streets appreciated (especially the thinking behind my turn bet)…

CrisBrown
12-15-2003, 04:05 PM
Hi Che,

Actually, I like your play here. The pre-flop check was fine on A4s, as neither player was likely to go away on a steal raise given your descriptions of them. Betting the pot on the flop was, again, the right play. I think all-in would have been too aggressive, even with top pair and the nut flush draw, because your opponents strike me as players who would have limped on Ax and might have caught two pair (as it turns out, one had). Once you had two pair, I don't think you could get away from the hand before the river.

Sorry it didn't work out, but I think you played it fine.

Cris