PDA

View Full Version : Same UB table, a lesson on how NOT to slowplay

stantheman
12-15-2003, 03:30 PM
A few minutes after my previous post, we get this little gem.

I'm in EP3 with A /images/graemlins/club.gifQ /images/graemlins/club.gif

Folded to me, I raise, folded to BB who 3-bets me (again, I'm eating lunch while playing so I embarassingly have no read), I call.

Flop is 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif5 /images/graemlins/club.gif (wow)

He bets, I call.

Turn is A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif (this is where I really begin to show my skills)

He bets, I just call (hoping to intelligently induce another bet on the river, where I will skillfully raise.)

River comes 10 /images/graemlins/club.gif (OK, here we go. My time to shine.)

He bets (just as I figured), I swiftly raise, he 3-bets (no problem, probably KK or QQ, or at worse I chop with AK), I cap, he calls.

He flips 10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif10 /images/graemlins/heart.gif, and I suck.

For all you youngsters out there, don't try this at home.

ramjam
12-15-2003, 07:00 PM
The slowplay is not that disastrous per se. Assuming he has a pocket pair, he has two outs to scoop the pot and one out to take half. When you call on the turn, there's only 6BB in the pot - so if you believe slowplaying will earn you one extra BB overall (in the 93% of cases that he doesn't overtake or draw level) then the play is positive EV. However, I'd still raise the turn because it's not that certain a slowplay will earn you an extra BB (if you raise the turn, he might call you down anyway or, if you don't raise the turn, he might lay down to your planned river raise) and I just can't help playing fast.

The really bad move is the river cap. The guy can see the ace as well as you. When he three bets, he's either stone-cold bluffing, splitting or beating you. (As a side point, raising the turn would have prevented this fiasco on the river because then if he had bet out or raised on the river you would have known for sure where you stood.)