PDA

View Full Version : Please help...Party smiley graphics

Frozen
12-15-2003, 02:51 PM
I believe that since Party's latest upgrade, typing /images/graemlins/wink.gif in the chat will create a smily face picture, right?

What happens on my computer, is that whenever anybody in my room types /images/graemlins/wink.gif, an annoying windows error message pops up, saying 'Not enough storage space to complete the operation'. I'm running XP professional with 512 megs of RAM, so it must be a settings issue? Anybody know how to fix this? Thanx in advance.

Edit: I can see the yellow smiley face here in my 2+2 message, but not when semi-colon, end perentheses is typed in party chat.

Frozen
12-15-2003, 06:06 PM
Damn, nobody knows?!

The zoo has a reputation to uphold here.

MrHeadsUp
12-15-2003, 06:11 PM

Frozen
12-15-2003, 06:27 PM
Was that answer meant to be helpful?

CrackerZack
12-15-2003, 06:28 PM
Reinstall the app. If that doesn't work, post here and I'll look into it a bit when I get home.

Nottom
12-15-2003, 06:36 PM
Along those lines, does anyone have a list of what smileys are available on party?

Brian
12-15-2003, 06:57 PM
Hi nottom,

Here are some fun ones to try out:

/images/graemlins/smile.gif)
O:)
:|
X-(
/images/graemlins/frown.gif(
:-B
=;

Those are the only ones I know of right now.

-Brian

BradleyT
12-15-2003, 08:23 PM
Run your disk defragger. That fixes everything.

Frozen
12-15-2003, 11:05 PM
Thanx for all your help here.
For whoever is interested:

Ran defrag- problem still persisted - tried to uninstall app- error, could not uninstall- ran system restore to before party upgrade- still can't uninstall. I plan to have somebody who knows what he's doing remove party from the registry and run a fresh install....

Frozen
12-20-2003, 01:41 AM
Fresh install didn't correct the problem. Oddly, when I use AIM, it does correctly convert the typed ; and ) into smileys. Party software unfortunately has no 'disable smileys' option....any ideas?

CrackerZack
12-20-2003, 02:37 AM
lets take this to PM. But does the app run? Party can do no more than an ASCII comparison of characters. If you're still having problems running the app, i can help. If you can't do the face, the upgrade failed.

mosch
12-20-2003, 03:21 AM
If you're comfortable with a hex editor, you could just edit the binary itself, changing the smiley codes to ones that aren't likely to ever be typed. There's actually a short section of the binary that contains all the smileys in a row, so it's pretty clear what to change.

Just look for the part of the binary that looks something like: X-( /images/graemlins/frown.gif( /images/graemlins/smile.gif) :-/ O:) :-B I-) /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/wink.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif :O :> :| =;

Frozen
12-20-2003, 03:31 AM
That's a really good idea Mosch, thanx. We'll probably try that...

_2000Flushes
12-20-2003, 06:48 AM
Why is this even an issue. In terms of downfalls for Party, those damn smileys run a close third behind customer support and server crashes. To be honest, I really don't know why those things piss me off so much, but every time it's like a swift kick to the nuts. I would rather iron my face than ever see another smiley. By downgrading their software to include these little chat window demons, Party has effectively put a toothpick under my big toenail and forced me to kick a wall.

I blame Shana Hiatt.

-2kF

tiltboy
12-20-2003, 07:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I blame Shana Hiatt.

[/ QUOTE ]
Blasphemy!

Cyndie
12-20-2003, 11:32 AM
Gosh, I would sure hate to see what you do when someone does something really mean, like kick a cat?

MS Sunshine
12-20-2003, 12:42 PM
Isn't there a setting that changes the keyboard for each country? Maybe, if yours is not set to standard english, but something else, it might not be compatible with Party's software.

Disclaimer: Want I know about computers would fit in the belly of gnat. It's your own fault, if anything bad happens, if you listen to me.

MS Sunshine

MS Sunshine
12-20-2003, 12:47 PM
ROFLMAO-good post. It's been good seeing you post recently. Any more big tournament wins 2000?

MS Sunshine

Frozen
12-20-2003, 05:35 PM
It's not much of an issue for you, as you're able to SEE the smileys...I just get an error box pop up every time someone tries to make one.

_2000Flushes
12-20-2003, 06:40 PM
Thanks MS. No big wins recently. I was out of the game for a while, and I'm just coming back. I'm playing in the 300/20 tonight, though. So we'll see how that goes.